Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Snowy Egret in Flight... C&C Appreciated

Real Name
    Joe

Snowy Egret in Flight... C&C Appreciated

I have been going back into images I shot over the winter and post processing them. I did these this evening. All comments and critique are welcome.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Re: Snowy Egret in Flight... C&C Appreciated

Lovely bird Joe. Well captured in flight too - very sharp.

Dave

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by dje View Post
    Lovely bird Joe. Well captured in flight too - very sharp.

Dave
    Thanks Dave...I appreciate your viewing and commenting. I looked at your images on PBase...great shots, so different from here. Your birds look exotic, like what I would see in a pet store or zoo. What you call a Fairy Iris here we call an African Iris, same flower I believe.

Real Name
    Peter K

I agree, well caught and sharp. Don't forget the horizons in the top two though....

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by PKFUSION View Post
    I agree, well caught and sharp. Don't forget the horizons in the top two though....
    Thanks Peter, I appreciate your viewing and commenting. If you could be more specific about the horizons, I know one is not straightened. What else do you see?

Real Name
    Bobo

Excellent catch.

Real Name
    Frank Deland

Top bird is excellent. I think you could easily crop out the background land.

Those flowers are wonderful. I am impressed that you got them both so sharp. Now, if only I could get my flower pictures to look like that! Do you remember what you focused on? The stem half way in between?

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Excellent catch.
    Thanks Bobo.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by rambler4466 View Post
    Top bird is excellent. I think you could easily crop out the background land.

Those flowers are wonderful. I am impressed that you got them both so sharp. Now, if only I could get my flower pictures to look like that! Do you remember what you focused on? The stem half way in between?
    Hi Frank, I had a crop without the background land. It just looked like a bird flying over water with nothing but the bird as a point of interest. On this version I left the background land because it was blurred, I thought it added to the photo suggesting that the Egret was flying over water but between Mangrove islands.

Concerning the flower I shot that at a shutter speed of 1/160 with the camera on a monopod. The aperature was f/8 with my Nikon 55-300mm AF-S VRII at 150mm. I shoot with a Nikon D7000 which enables fine tuning of the auto-focus which I have done with this lens. The point of focus I am sure was on one of the flowers, with this lens the depth of field is fine for getting both flowers in sharp focus and blurring the grass background which was several feet behing the flowers. Hope this helps.

Real Name
    Mike

Concerning the flower I shot that at a shutter speed of 1/160 with the camera on a monopod. The aperature was f/8 with my Nikon 55-300mm AF-S VRII at 150mm. I shoot with a Nikon D7000 which enables fine tuning of the auto-focus which I have done with this lens. The point of focus I am sure was on one of the flowers, with this lens the depth of field is fine for getting both flowers in sharp focus and blurring the grass background which was several feet behing the flowers. Hope this helps.
    Good shots Joe, Does the micro focus adjustment hold up throughout the focal range of the lens?

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Myk View Post
    Good shots Joe, Does the micro focus adjustment hold up throughout the focal range of the lens?
    Thanks Mike, I have found that it does but from what I read on the subject it was suggested to fine tune the autofocus on a zoom lens at the focal length that is used most often. In my case that was at the 300mm end which with the crop factor for Nikon DX cameras of 1.5 extended the focal lenght of the 300mm to 450mm. I shoot a lot of nature (birds) and unless in a blind most always shooting the the far end on the lens.

Real Name
    Mike

Interesting, thanks Joe. It surely didn't seem to hurt anything at 150mm by the looks of that flower shot.