Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Small Doodle World

Real Name
    Richard

Small Doodle World

Bailey, our beautiful Goldendoodle foster, will go to her furever home this Thursday. Her new parents are driving down from Monterrey, California to pick her up.

Small Doodle World

Small world! Bailey's new family already has one Goldendoodle and she is from the same breeder, Cheyenne Valley Labradoodles and Labradoodles, north of Dallas, Texas, as my Goldendoodle, Holly. Our two girls are half-sisters; they share the same father! I am anxious to shoot the two sisters together.

BTW: it is a LOT EASIER to shoot good looking dogs (and people) than it is to shoot other than good looking subjects. It is also great to have a camera loaded and ready. Bailey was siting on our couch when I saw this pose.

7D, 70-200mm f/4L IS, ISO 160, f/4 @ 1/60 second. On camera 430EX flash bounced of the ceiling modified with a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 16th April 2012 at 06:14 PM.

Real Name
    Kevin

Re: Small Doodle World

Hi, Richard

I was surprised to see your note that this was a snapshot-is such a nice image I thought it was a carefully arranged and composed studio shot

Real Name
    Richard

Kevin,

I am thrilled with the quality lighting that I get bouncing a flash (either on camera or from a camera flip bracket) and modifying that flash with the Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro (www.dembflashproducts.com). I always have that setup on my camera with fresh batteries and a CF card on the counter in my hallway (which is a central location in my home). I keep the 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on the camera.

My wife who is a neatnick and would compete with a Marine Corps Drill Sergeant for neatness, realizes that the place for the camera is where I can grab it at a moment's notice, not packed away in some case.

Bailey was sitting on the couch. The background is a furry cover that we keep on the couch to keep it clean from our dogs. It just so happened that the cover is an appropriate BG color for Bailey. I tried one of our white Maltese on that cover and it did not work well at all. Our own Goldendoodle, Holly, is a buff color and the BG just drains the life out of her. However, with Bailey's reddish coloring, everything seems to click.

If I were setting this up for a studio shot, I would have placed Bailey a bit further from the background. That way I would not have had the small shadow that you can see behind her. However, IMO, the shadow doesn't distract from the image and there is limited room on a couch seat for placing a subject.

What made me shoot the picture was the expression on Bailey's face. I wanted a face shot to send to her prospective adoptive parents.

Real Name
    Maja or Molly

Not many things better in the world than a Doodle face.

Real Name
    Richard

Bailey, her new mom Sydney and her new big sister, Hailey...
    Small Doodle World
    Bailey who was often shy with strangers, bonded immediately with her "furever" family. It was a match made in heaven!

Now with Bailey gone to her new home, we have room for another dog. A pregnant Maltese is arriving out of a Los Angeles area shelter tomorrow. She will be able to whelp her puppies in a clean, safe and loving environment. That is what makes our rescue and fostering so worthwhile...

Real Name
    Maja or Molly

Looks like a perfect match...they're both smiling that 'Doodle' smile.

Real Name
    Terry

You know Richard?

As much as I admire your photography, I admire your Humanity even more.

Which makes it obvious that they both go hand in hand.

You are an Inspiration.

Real Name
    Richard

Thank you Terry...

We get a lot back from our rescue efforts. Whatever anyone does is always for a payoff of some kind. Our payoff is the good feelings that we get from the dogs we rescue and foster. Knowing that we have made some differences in the lives of these helpless animals makes us feel great.

We consider ourselves very lucky to be able to do what we enjoy doing. We have a large house and a fenced acre of property. We are both retired and have the time and the resources to do what we enjoy doing. We are also supported by the American Maltese Association as well as by donors who assist with the vet care for our rescue dogs.

We also have other volunteers in both Maltese and Doodle rescue who do wonderful work. The expectant Maltese mother was pulled from the L.A. shelter yesterday by a volunteer in that area. She was brought to a vet who examined her and determined that she has five puppies waiting to be born. The volunteer is caring for her until my wife and another volunteer can drive up to L.A. today and bring her to our home where we have the space and the facilities to make her whelping safe and comfortable.

Oh BTW, my wife is the one who has the level head. I would flunk out as a foster because I would keep them all!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 21st April 2012 at 06:18 PM.