Thread: Misty morning swan

Real Name
    Gary

Misty morning swan

Managed to get this swan gracefully moving through the early morning mist on a local lake. Your thoughts are most welcome.

Cheers for now

Gary

Misty morning swan

Re: Misty morning swan

For me, Gary, elements like this, birds, boats etc, always seem to work better if there is more space in front of them than behind.

I wonder about a slight crop to the right side. Or turn the swan around with a bit of editing.

Real Name
    John

Gary,
    I like this shot. I would have liked to see the Swan slightly bigger, but that's a personal thing.
    Overall, I think it's got a lovely atmosphere.
    Well done.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Gary,

Two things;
    I agree with John; it would be nice with the swan a little bigger
    The right hand side probably isn't contributing too much to the composition and cropping that off would allow you to place the swan swimming into, rather than out of, the picture.

It is a very atmospherc shot though, having tried a few myself occasionally, I can imagine being there.

I don't know how you found it, but I discovered this can clear very quickly and leave you with a rather more boring image if you don't get on with it.

Nice capture,

Real Name
    james

Gary, I can really appreciate this image . I have been very unsuccessful with mist on the water type shots.... I think like Dave said, I just am not fast enough( by the time I figure out how I want to shoot it ... its gone. Great job.

Real Name
    Gary

Geoff, John, Dave, James. Thanks for your comments. Funny you should mention about the scene disappearing. I took another shot as the swan turned around and the mist had changed in that short period. The same atmosphere was missing in that shot. As you say the scene does change rapidly. I had been messing about with using the spot meterig option on the Canon G2 and used it to meter off the swan then re-compose and made the image. So, I cannot claim to have the technical know-how to make the image. More 90% luck 10% knowledge I reckon!

Unfortunately, with the Canon G2 I was at the limit of focal length but in my own minds eye I can see what you are saying about the swan being larger. Its a place where I have a regular early morning walk so hopefully there will be more opportunities to take some more shots. I think that maybe I need to set the option that takes continuous shots? It might give me some more options when it comes to editing?

Cheers for now

Gary

Real Name
    Paul

I like this as well. Am a fan of the misty mornings. I also agree about the cropping of the right side. Nice find and capture. I like the sureal feel in this shot, it is not to surreal to be real but it has that magical quality.

Real Name
    Gary

Thanks Paul, for your comments.

Cheers for now

Gary