Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Praying Mantis

Real Name
    Jason

Praying Mantis

Hi,

Well seeing as how I have only my Nikon L110 p&s to use for the next however long it takes to sort out the DSLR, I thought I would get out and rediscover the close up feature. I must admit it does work pretty well, you can get very close to the subject and still focus. Not that you would want to get to up close and personal with some critters but for this fella it was ok.

Cheers

J

Praying Mantis

Real Name
    Greg

Re: Praying Mantis

Nothing too shabby about that image Jason. It's amazing just how good some shots are with the p&s cameras.
    If there was anything about the photo I might change, it would just be a slightly tighter crop to remove more of the leaf down the left foreground to see how that looked.
    Ps, What news of your Nikon
    Cheers Greg

Real Name
    Jason

Hey Greg,

Not a bad idea, I think I will have a play with the clone tool as well. The Nikon is in at the repair shop, only got there today as I had to send it from Canberra to Melbourne. They said about two weeks for them to get to it and then to let me know where it stands. So it is the old wait and see game.

Cheers

J

Real Name
    Bobo

Did I hear "its the equipment, not the photographer"?

Well, whoever said that is wrong (again).

Nicely done.

Just one reason why my S90 goes with me everywhere though hardly used when the big one is around the shoulders. But......!!!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Quote Originally Posted by jstp View Post
    Well seeing as how I have only my Nikon L110 p&s to use for the next however long it takes to sort out the DSLR, I thought I would get out and rediscover the close up feature. I must admit it does work pretty well, you can get very close to the subject and still focus. Not that you would want to get to up close and personal with some critters but for this fella it was ok.
    I just went through that (mine is back now), what happened to yours Jason?

Great shot, I don't think we get them in UK (in wild), I believe they move at the speed I can cope with - I dislike anything that can move quicker than I can get out of the way

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Just one reason why my S90 goes with me everywhere though hardly used when the big one is around the shoulders. But......!!!
    Likewise my S100 goes everywhere now, but often is found tucked in my left palm while the fingers zoom the 70-300 on the big camera
    Gives quick access to a macro camera with superior DoF than DSLR and wider angle; 24mm equiv. (wider than my 18-200mm which is 27-300mm equiv.)

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Nice one, Jason and I agree with Greg that a little cropping of the dead space on the left wouldn't hurt.

Since I got the Canon SX40 with its long lens, I'm now a switch hitter between the Nikon D3100 and the Canon to take advantage of the best attributes of each as the opportunities present themselves. I just ordered an Op-Tech Dual Harness to keep both 'at the ready'.

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    ...I just ordered an Op-Tech Dual Harness to keep both 'at the ready'.
    Around these parts (I am in Hong Kong atm), I have heard that people carrying cameras have been given a nickname which translated is "Dragon Guy", so now you are a "Double Dragon Guy".

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Around these parts (I am in Hong Kong atm), I have heard that people carrying cameras have been given a nickname which translated is "Dragon Guy", so now you are a "Double Dragon Guy".
    LOL! At my age, it's more like I'm the "my wagon is Dragon", guy!

Real Name
    Jason

"its the equipment, not the photographer"?
    Yeah I agree, not a correct statement, "same as a bad tradesman blames his tools"

what happened to yours Jason?
    My dog decided to play fetch with it, starting from the bench top and then across the tiled floor, and yes they don't move real quick and are not to scittish(?), but it can be quite startling when they decide to fly off

Cheers

J

Real Name
    Greg

Hi Jason,
    Got home from work today, walked through the back gate and nearly stepped on this guy.
    They must like us photographers
    He just sat there for ages until I picked him up and put him in a safer place.

Praying Mantis

Real Name
    Jason

Hey Greg,

Yeah, they don't seem to be in any sort of hurry to get away. I really like how the look straight at you and follow your movements.

Cheers

J

Real Name
    Greg

Absolutely right about the following of your movements.
    Two photo's. One looking at me. Then my mate came up the driveway for an after work beer.

Praying Mantis

Praying Mantis

Cheers Greg
    Ps The beer was good