Thread: Snake River rr bridge

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Snake River rr bridge

f11 1/160s iso100 canon 5dmk2 24-70 LSnake River rr bridge

Real Name
    Johnny

Re: Snake River rr bridge

Polarizer, polarizer, polarizer...make that sky a beautiful contrast to the oranges and yellows.

But wouldn't that excessively darken the shadows? I've never had much success with polarisers myself.

A good example of perspective, Jack.

Real Name
    Paul

A very impressive bridge. I like your POV; a huge structure like this is hard to capture that gives a good feeling of its size and strength. I think you've done a good job. I like the lighting you used to give the steel beams a three-dimensional shape. The shadowed hills in the distance show the rugged terrain of the area. Their natural and irregular shapes contrast nicely with the regularity of the man-made trestle. I like the natural color of the sky although I might experiment with boosting the saturation very sightly. In Lightroom, you can use the HSL sliders in the Develop module. Select Saturation and place the color picker (in the HSL module) on the blue sky and drag up or down and it will increase/decrease that color(s). Or you can use NiK Viveza2 to selectively change saturation, contrast, etc. (a very nice program for landscape photography)

Paul S

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

YES SINGRAY lb warming circle polarizer, I think not to over polarize gives me better and more natural results. THANKS TO JOHNNY geoff f and paul for your comments

Real Name
    Bob R

The sky, it needs something, as others suggest, I need not say anymore there. It's such a great picture, the detail you have captured in the bridge is amazing. I really like this.

Real Name
    Johnny

I used the GND feature in ACR to mimic a polarizing effect, pulling one from the bottom and one from the top. I did do some levels and curves adjusting as well but only to compensate for the density of the "polarized" look. I use a polarizer almost any chance I get if I have a lot of sky combined with a lot of contrasting nature. it is always a matter of taste, but I think there is still quite nice detail in the grasses, allowing a good naturalness to the scene but more importantly, I think the sky gains a bit more depth providing a tad more contrast.

Snake River rr bridge

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Great use of angles!

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Thanks bob, i shot this from several angles but liked this one the best.