Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Keep your batteries fully charged?

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    South Devon, UK
    Posts
    11,264

    Keep your batteries fully charged?

    I've always recharged my camera batteries regularly after use. (lithium ion)

    And so far I have never had one fail. Probably happen tomorrow; ref. Murphy's Law.

    But this article may prove interesting.

    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries

  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    A Pacific Island
    Posts
    922
    Real Name
    Andrew

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    Thanks for the info Geoff. I leave my batteries until they are about 25%. I've never had one fail either but so far I don't imagine I'm even close to half of the expected life cycle.

  3. #3
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    I've always recharged my camera batteries regularly after use. (lithium ion)

    And so far I have never had one fail. Probably happen tomorrow; ref. Murphy's Law.

    But this article may prove interesting.

    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...ased_batteries
    For typical camera usage, it looks like this statement from the link sums it up as a generalization.

    "The smaller the depth of discharge, the longer the battery will last. If at all possible, avoid frequent full discharges and charge more often between uses."

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Japan
    Posts
    50
    Real Name
    Mars

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    I also came across a similar article a few weeks back saying pretty much the same thing. Keeping your batteries charged between 25% - 80% is optimal.

    On a side note, do they still sell those AA batteries with the battery gauge on the side to see he much charge is left? Wouldn't that be nice on our slr batteries....

  5. #5
    krispix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    London
    Posts
    268
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    Lithium-Ion batteries differ from the old Nickel-Cadmium types. With Ni-Cads it was preferable to discharge them completely before recharging because constant re-charging from their partially charged state affected their ability to hold a full charge - the batteries were said to have a 'memory' and after a while would only accept the amount of charge they were used to. Li-Ions are different as they have no 'memory' and you can top up the charge whenever you like for as much as you like. Also, they hold their charge when not in use for a much longer period. However, one thing they don't like and will probably cause them to fail prematurely is being stored in an uncharged state.
    So, it's probably a good idea to put it on charge immediately you get back from a shoot and, if you've got a spare battery (as you should have) do a change-over each time.

  6. #6
    Scott Stephen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Pennsylvania, USA
    Posts
    285
    Real Name
    Scott

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    Quote Originally Posted by marstar View Post
    On a side note, do they still sell those AA batteries with the battery gauge on the side to see he much charge is left? Wouldn't that be nice on our slr batteries....
    Doesn't the camera tell us that, though? With the battery level bar?

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    I just charge my camera battery after each shoot (usually a small to medium discharge) and never had a problem. For the batteries in my flashes, I do the same, but I keep a record of how many times each set of 4 has been recharged.

    The only time I've EVER had a problem (and it was a small but consistent problem) is when I was using rapid chargers (15 min to 60 minute) - some of the batteries were too hot to handle afterwards, and common sense just told me that this just can't be a good thing.

    These days I use a slow charger and have no more problems.

  8. #8
    Moderator GrumpyDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,127
    Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    Just one added comment on Lithium Ion batteries. They do not like deep cycle discharges (i.e. running them all the way down before recharging them). This practice (which was the only way to treat NiCads) shortens battery life. Recharging them often is far gentler on them and extends their life. I have a number of Li-on batteries that are about 4 years old and they hold their charge almost as well as some of my newest ones.

    Another thing about Li-on; they need to go through two or three charges before they hold their charge at an optimal level.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    Just one added comment on Lithium Ion batteries. They do not like deep cycle discharges (i.e. running them all the way down before recharging them). This practice (which was the only way to treat NiCads) shortens battery life. Recharging them often is far gentler on them and extends their life. I have a number of Li-on batteries that are about 4 years old and they hold their charge almost as well as some of my newest ones.
    I wonder if it makes a difference as to how they're deep cycled?

    I'd like to think that if one gently discharged them down to zero (say a camera battery on a calibration cycle) then it would probably be far less traumatic than say an electric drill under load being forced to "try and drill those last 10 holes".

  10. #10

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    Dear Sir,


    Reading this thread I came across a question I would need some help and hopefully an advice as well.
    I recently purchase an original Canon Li-on battery to my Canon EOS 5D Mark II as a future spare one.
    • Now my question is - should I store it in my fridge? Or should I first charge it or leave the battery in its package uncharged?
    What would be the best and wisest way of keeping this brand new Li-on battery until I will use it in future (I already have two original battery that are frequently in use so this is for special occasions such as travel or being outdoors for a longer time without ability to re-charge the batteries if hiking)
    I would very much appreciate your thoughts about this subject of how to best store and handling a brand new Li-on battery to the DSLR camera!

    All the Best,
    Charl (from Sweden and this my first postings here!)

  11. #11
    Moderator GrumpyDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,127
    Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    I wonder if it makes a difference as to how they're deep cycled?

    I'd like to think that if one gently discharged them down to zero (say a camera battery on a calibration cycle) then it would probably be far less traumatic than say an electric drill under load being forced to "try and drill those last 10 holes".
    Both scenarios are not good for the Li-om batteries and will shorten their overall life.

  12. #12
    Moderator GrumpyDiver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Canada
    Posts
    12,127
    Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    Quote Originally Posted by ZoeEnPhos View Post
    Dear Sir,


    Reading this thread I came across a question I would need some help and hopefully an advice as well.
    I recently purchase an original Canon Li-on battery to my Canon EOS 5D Mark II as a future spare one.
    Now my question is - should I store it in my fridge? Or should I first charge it or leave the battery in its package uncharged?
    What would be the best and wisest way of keeping this brand new Li-on battery until I will use it in future (I already have two original battery that are frequently in use so this is for special occasions such as travel or being outdoors for a longer time without ability to re-charge the batteries if hiking)
    I would very much appreciate your thoughts about this subject of how to best store and handling a brand new Li-on battery to the DSLR camera!

    All the Best,
    Charl (from Sweden and this my first postings here!)
    Carl. You spent money on the battery and it will not do you any good sitting around; why not introduce it into your overall battery rotation? I have five battery packs (which I've numbered 1 - 5) for my two cameras and try to rotate them through a cycle. I've done the same for video camera batteries and treating them gently, I can't really say I have noticed any great change in overall battery life in 3 to 4 years of moderately frequent use.

  13. #13
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,646
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyDiver View Post
    I have five battery packs (which I've numbered 1 - 5) for my two cameras and try to rotate them through a cycle.
    I agree with that idea. I have three battery packs that I use in the battery grip I have fitted on my 40D and I rotate - 1 & 2; 2 & 3; 3 & 1; 1 & 2 etc.

  14. #14

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Dunedin New Zealand
    Posts
    2,697
    Real Name
    J stands for John

    Re: Keep your batteries fully charged?

    Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    - some of the batteries were too hot to handle afterwards, and common sense just told me that this just can't be a good thing..
    Using a charger without proper controls to charge batteries salvaged out of battery packs* I left one lot on too long, not only were they too hot to hold but one exploded, fortunately it just went "pop" as its case broke open.
    When a battery pack fails its test it is usually becuase only one of the batteries inside has failed and you have reasonably good batteries left to couple up again with others for the required voltage ... in my case 6v for radio control receivers. What 'looks' like just a battery is often two or more lower voltage batteries inside.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •