Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Adobe DNG Converter creating very large files

Real Name
    Patrick

Adobe DNG Converter creating very large files

I just converted around 500 RAW files from an Olympus E-PL2 using the DNG converter (v6.4) and the vast majority of the resulting files are around 50mb, give or take, when the original RAW files average 12-13mb. At first I thought maybe it had to do with me having the preferences set so the files work with an earlier version of ACR (v4.6) but I noticed that some of the files,though very few, came out to be 12-15mb. I don't have the preference checked for embedding the originals so I'm really stumped on what can cause such a huge increase especially since it doesn't affect all the files. Any ideas?

Real Name
    Patrick

Re: Adobe DNG Converter creating very large files

Never mind, it is indeed caused by the preference being set so that it can work with ACR v4.6. When I switched that setting to ACR v5.4 the files were around the same size or a little bigger with full size JPEG Preview. It turns out the smaller files were from the pics I took with an old Canon FD lens. Apparently the current micro 4/3 AF lenses need an extra 40mb of space for the file to be backwards compatible! This might motivate me to use my MF lens more often.
    I guess I should have done a little more testing before posting on here but the huge difference in file size threw me for a loop. Oh well, maybe this will serve someone else with the same problem.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Adobe DNG Converter creating very large files

Quote Originally Posted by Sponge View Post
    ... maybe this will serve someone else with the same problem.
    That's the value of it being here now. Glad you found the answer, Patrick.