Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: School House Road

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

School House Road

f8 1/60s School House Road iso 100 canon 5dmk2 70/200 at 70mm Looking north at pendleton or.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: School House Road

Hi Jack! Nice use of sunlight and shadow to emphasize the vastness of the landscape and how the road seemingly goes on forever.

You might want to play with a landscape crop of 16:9 or 2:1. It is also looking like it might benefit from some Local Contrast Enhancement. Are there two smudges in the top left of the image? Dust bunnies?

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

I'd go with Frank's idea re the crop. Also, the horizon needs straightened up.

But, again, a well seen image.

Real Name
    Johnny

I almost always look at a sweeping landscape such as this one and see it in B&W. To me, it's not a matter of good color vs better B&W as much as if there isn't something about the sky or a very centralized object in the primary image are which screams to have to be in color, then it's always B&W for me.

I didn't see either of my two criteria in this image and then looked to it as a great B&W. Of course, it is always a matter of opinion and likes, but I think B&W does a good justice to this already nice image. I did crop so the horizon line falls almost exactly on the top "third" line and tried to adjust the horizontal structure so there were good, interesting intersects in the primary 4 intersections. I only used the B&W layer adjustment combined with brightness and contrast and two exposure layers in CS5.

School House Road

Real Name
    glenn

Hi jack,
    what a great picture , I just want to jump into this photo, and see where this road takes me.
    I love how you get shadow,then sunlight, again and again. I find myself exploring everything in this scene.
    I also get the feeling that the picture is pulling me in, which is a great thing. I would be very proud of this shot.
    Your new fan . Glenn.

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Thanks Frank, Donald , johnny and glenn for your comments and suggestions all appreciated.

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

re cropSchool House Road

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

B+W and School House Road crop love b_w with crop thanks for the ideas everyone.

Real Name
    Johnny

You did someting to the color image on the recrop that makes the color image much more pleasing...so, would you like to share?

Real Name
    Jack R Mann

Johnny i just toned down the highlights, 1st image was a little to bright and blew out clouds, and i should have done the same thing to b+w.