Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Paint or Cut?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Paint or Cut?

I was so tickled with the front porch in the house picture I got for Project 52 that I got to looking at the house this morning and wondering if I should paint the back deck? No need to paint the front deck as it is likely past the point where paint will make any appreciable difference.

Paint or Cut?

Then the wife figured that if I could get away from photography long enough to paint the deck that she would rather like to have the grass cut. Now I have a dilemma, should I paint the deck or cut the grass?

I’m thinking that it might make more sense to deal with the grass this year and do the deck next year. Particularly after the results I got cloning the tree branches in Project 52, it should be easy to just ‘clone out’ the grass in Photoshop and save the gas money from not using the lawn mower toward a new lens!

Any suggestions or comments would be welcomed!

Real Name
    Myra

Re: Paint or Cut?

<LOL> Best personal critique ever!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    I’m thinking that it might make more sense to deal with the grass this year and do the deck next year.
    Personally, I think you need to clean the windows and check the locks on the doors before you do any of that.

And, of course, if you're going to do all that work you need to get a proper lens in order to be able to record it all. So, do that first.

Real Name
    Philip

One can sensor lack of strength in the main subject of this photograph. Focus on the structure of the image - the composition appears to have begun to fall apart completely, producing that circle of confusion in the right-hand third. The fully open aperture in the front wall is not helping, as it allows the elements to encroach into the subject. This, in certain weather conditions and together with the absence of proper surface coatings, leads to the over-exposure and saturation of the woodwork, which will in time-lapse into the background, eventually reaching the vanishing-point. It is evident that this process has already developed so, on balance, it is probably not worth trying to recover the house. In contrast, if the grass is cropped it will resize itself in the brightness - however, this also renders that processing pointless. ISO think that your time and resolution should not be wasted on this, and things should be kept in perspective. Why take the risk - wideangle your reputation as a photographer on a wireless connection? Treat yourself to a new lens.

Philip
    Last edited by MrB; 13th April 2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: typo

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    you need to get a proper lens in order to be able to record it all. So, do that first.
    Quote Originally Posted by MrB View Post
    Treat yourself to a new lens.
    LOL! Now THATs what I was hoping to hear!

I hope you are enjoying my 'falling off the edge' a bit into a more lighthearted realm of fantasy!

Real Name
    Jon

I don't think I can top the pervious comments...so get that new lens, you deserve it!