Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Early Morning Beach Scene...C&C Appreciated

Real Name
    Joe

Early Morning Beach Scene...C&C Appreciated

I shot this walking along a beach at low tide early one morning. I would like comments and critique regarding the tones, composition and general feeling of the image.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Early Morning Beach Scene...C&C Appreciated

I'm not usually a fan of the tall, narrow image. I think our eyes are more used to going across the way rather than up and down. But there are always exceptions and when your put a quality image into that format, then it can work beautifully. And this one, for me, works beautifully.

I think it's a wonderfully composed image (the rule-of-thirds isn't dead yet!). It's an image in three very distinct sections (in accordance with that rule-of-thirds) that are expertly held together into one cohesive whole by the management and exploitation of the light and the tones throughout and the placement of key points of interest. For example, look at the line that runs right from bottom to top from those two largest rocks in the bottom centre, the reflection of the sun on the water and then the hole in the clouds through which we see the light from the sun.

A sublime image as far as I'm concerned.

Real Name
    John

Joe,
    I don't have such eloquent words as Donald, so can I just say I agree with him.
    Lovely picture that works well. Well done.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm not usually a fan of the tall, narrow image. I think our eyes are more used to going across the way rather than up and down. But there are always exceptions and when your put a quality image into that format, then it can work beautifully. And this one, for me, works beautifully.

I think it's a wonderfully composed image (the rule-of-thirds isn't dead yet!). It's an image in three very distinct sections (in accordance with that rule-of-thirds) that are expertly held together into one cohesive whole by the management and exploitation of the light and the tones throughout and the placement of key points of interest. For example, look at the line that runs right from bottom to top from those two largest rocks in the bottom centre, the reflection of the sun on the water and then the hole in the clouds through which we see the light from the sun.

A sublime image as far as I'm concerned.
    Donald, your comments are appreciated and find a warm spot in my heart. Your approval is like a student receiving approval from his mentor. I have studied the images on your website, observing you how used objects in your compositions, tones in the light to draw the viewer inside the image. Also using objects and light to direct the gaze of viewer. My favorite is a color image...Frosty Morning, not your usual genr'e but superbly done. Thanks again my colleague in photography.
    Last edited by jprzybyla; 12th April 2012 at 09:56 PM.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by JPS View Post
    Joe,
    I don't have such eloquent words as Donald, so can I just say I agree with him.
    Lovely picture that works well. Well done.
    Thank you John, your viewing and comment is much appreciated.

Real Name
    Myra

Beautiful and lifelike. You know how one can't look at the sun? My eyes cannot look at the sun in your photo for more than two seconds. The tones are lovely. Was the original far from those tones? If so, I'd love to see it, too.

Real Name
    Ginny King

I love the colors. For some reason, sunrise pictures tend to leave me a little emotionally flat. I don't know why...but not this one. I can feel myself walking on the beach totally inspired by the surrounding beauty. I love this shot.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Beautiful and lifelike. You know how one can't look at the sun? My eyes cannot look at the sun in your photo for more than two seconds. The tones are lovely. Was the original far from those tones? If so, I'd love to see it, too.
    Thank you Myra, your viewing and comment is appreciated. As you requested below is the original RAW file converted to a JPEG for posting. The tones in the original were not as warm as I remembered the morning walking along the beach, so I changed the white balance towards the amber to warm the scene. I then chose a 16x9 ratio for the crop and moved the box around till I had the compostion I wanted. If you look closely you can see a car tire in the left hand side, I removed that by cloning in Photoshop Elements.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Flurry View Post
    I love the colors. For some reason, sunrise pictures tend to leave me a little emotionally flat. I don't know why...but not this one. I can feel myself walking on the beach totally inspired by the surrounding beauty. I love this shot.
    Thank you Ginny. That was taken on Carrabelle Beach, we had never been to the Panhandle of Florida so for a vacation we rented a house on Carrabelle Beach. It was wondeful to get up early and walk the beach with the camera. I appreciate your kind words, thank you again.

Real Name
    Myra

Ah, I can see why you warmed it up a bit. The original is pretty close to what I would see up here in Nova Scotia on a cold, early summer morning. The blues really tell the story. Great capture and processing.