Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Barn II

Real Name
    Jeff

Barn II

Another mono Barn ... (!) Feedback appreciated.
    Barn II

Real Name
    Johnny

Re: Barn II

So...is the barn the main subject, or is it the cross and the wall? This is where either another cmaera angle or more selective use of depth of field could have helped to make that determination for you. Color and tonal wise, it is a nice shot (though wonder if you might lighten the clouds just a bit).

For me, the barn is not the focal point, but rather the two foreground objects. I would concentrate on them and let the barn and the rest of the background clutter go very soft, very quickly (reshoot, of course). If you keep it as is, I would definitely lose the telegraph wire and shoot it in such a manner as to have the cross be far less predominate in the scene.

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
    So...is the barn the main subject, or is it the cross and the wall? This is where either another cmaera angle or more selective use of depth of field could have helped to make that determination for you. Color and tonal wise, it is a nice shot (though wonder if you might lighten the clouds just a bit).

For me, the barn is not the focal point, but rather the two foreground objects. I would concentrate on them and let the barn and the rest of the background clutter go very soft, very quickly (reshoot, of course). If you keep it as is, I would definitely lose the telegraph wire and shoot it in such a manner as to have the cross be far less predominate in the scene.
    That's helpful thanks

Real Name
    Sharon

I really like it Jeff. Very atmospheric.

Real Name
    Kevin

Lots of potential in that scene for experimentation if you have repeat access. A later in the day sun would make the exposure less tricky with less reflection off the flat face of the barn, and would bring out the nice textures on the barn wall. I dont have the EXIF data, but wonder if a wider focal length would separate the cross and wall from being superimposed and allow the DoF separation the Johnny referred to also. I like the image, and get a strong "so close to excellent" feel. Hope you can get back to it if the area allows you to roam a bit.

Kevin

Real Name
    Jeff

Cheers ! I'm kind of conflicted about it, which was why I put up, for me, living where I do, the image represents a lot of what I love about the area - a background which others do not have - which is a bit of trap in a way, and one which I often fall into. I'm going to try some of the suggestions (its not far away) and see if they work !