Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Rocks and Waves

Real Name
    colin

Rocks and Waves

At the beach with my camera again, love it! Some c&c please.

ColinRocks and Waves

Real Name
    Johnny

Re: Rocks and Waves

While this is a nice vacation sort of shot, it lacks a certain artistic merit in that there is not central focal point. Shot from a lower angle if possible might give it more character and better show the action of the waves. If that's not possible, then concentrate on one section more than the other, omitting things like the background roadway and probably a good part of the foreground where the waves aren't nearly so sharp.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Colin, I think the element that is missing is a clearly defined subject. Some images can do very well without an obvious subject but this one needs something compelling to anchor the image and there are too many similar competing elements.

Sometimes with an image like this, an interesting background (which is cut off here) and/or an interesting foreground (the edge of the bluff you were standing on?) can help. Getting a lower shooting angle as Johnny suggests could possible produce both.

Real Name
    Yen

I think i agree with the previous comments, but sometimes its puzzling whether to take a portion or the whole view when confronted with such a beautiful scenery...it's as if you wouldn't want to miss a thing when you're there...would it be a good idea to use a wide angle lens in this situation and take it at a lower shooting angle?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by edrtatad View Post
    I think i agree with the previous comments, but sometimes its puzzling whether to take a portion or the whole view when confronted with such a beautiful scenery...it's as if you wouldn't want to miss a thing when you're there...would it be a good idea to use a wide angle lens in this situation and take it at a lower shooting angle?
    Hi Yen. It can be. It depends on what you want the image to be. For me, an image should evoke an emotion and draw the viewer in, wanting to explore the image in detail. For me, a failed image is one that someone glances at and moves on. The longer an image holds your attention, the more successful it is in my view.

Sometimes it is not so easy to identify what makes one image work and another an also-ran. It takes time to develop a vision that will help you 'see' what works and what doesn't. To make matters a bit more complicated is that what 'works' for one person may not be universally what works for others.

There are some guidelines that work for most viewers but not all. Knowing that you can never satisfy everyone, you need to decide if you prefer to satisfy most viewers or would you rather produce an image that satisfies you, whether or not others like it. Both approaches are valid but not necessarily interchangeable.

If you want to explore the kind of 'vision' that has a more widespread appeal, you may want to take a look at Vision and Voice by David duChemin as one possible resource. Hope this helps!

Real Name
    colin

Thank's for your interest and advice, always welcome.
    Colin

Real Name
    Yen

Hi Frank. Thanks for the advice on the vision-driven perspective. And Colin, thanks for sharing your picture.