Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Yongnuo RF63 C3

Real Name
    Andrew

Yongnuo RF603 C3

Hey everyone. Does anyone know if this product will work with the Canon 60D?? All efforts to search it online indicate that they work with the xD series, as well as the 50D, 40D, 30D etc.

I'm just wondering if specs haven't been updated to include the 60D. There is a separate product for use with the Rebel series, I believe they designate that 'C1'.

All reviews look pretty good, I'm aware of what's involved in buying a 'Less-Expensive' product, as opposed to the 'Name Brand' ones, but honestly, I can't afford $250 per unit, when I would like to have 4 of them, and I will not be firing flashes from more than 30m away. 2.4Ghz should be good for at least 50m if not more, (I hope!!).
    Last edited by Andrew76; 10th April 2012 at 10:55 PM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Re: Yongnuo RF63 C3

Do you mean the RF-603? The [CN]# designation is just to specify which camera shutter release cable comes with the set if you want to use them as a shutter release. The 60D uses the same 2.5mm plug for this as the dRebels, so you'd want a dRebel "C1" set, not the N3-connector for the older XXD cameras. That's why it isn't listed with the 40D/50D.

The triggers should work fine: the hotshoe design hasn't changed on the 60D.

However, I'd recommend considering Cactus V5s instead for a few usability reasons. With the 603s:
    • You can't reach the on/off switch easily when a flash is mounted on the unit.
    • Channel selection by dip switches under the battery cover. V5s: dial.
    • No locking rings on the foot. Far less stable than the V5s.
    • 2.5mm jacks. V5s use 3.5mm jacks. (Easier to source/build cables)
    • Test button only works if unit is mounted on camera hotshoe, makes using a meter tough. V5s, test button works with transmitter in hand.

Real Name
    Andrew

Yes!!! Sorry - I missed the '0'. Thanks very much! And good advice on the Cactus triggers. A friend of mine has two, and I've toyed with them in the past, just thought they were still a little bit more $$ than the Yongnuo. But at the cost of a flash falling to the floor.... I'll look into them as well.

Thanks very much Kathy, I really appreciate it!

Real Name
    Kathy

You're welcome. BTW, I found a pretty good guide to the current crop of manual radio trigger choices:

http://flashhavoc.com/which-radio-trigger/

Real Name
    Andrew

Wow, that's pretty cool - just finished reading it. Very informative! Thanks again Kathy!

Real Name
    Andrew

Andrew, I did a LOT of background checking and ended up going with Phottix. I got the Phottix Strato II Mulit's from these guys down in your area. I found them very responsive, helpful and good to deal with. I shoot Nikon so you'll have to do a bit of checking for Canon. One thing the Phottix offer I personally needed was the pass-through of the hotshoe. Another benefit they either don't know about or market that I only found out after receiving them is when triggering the camera from afar, the ability to focus remotely.

http://photoglobeonline.com/shopping/
    Last edited by Andrew1; 12th April 2012 at 11:09 PM.

Real Name
    Andrew

Thanks Andrew! I've never even heard of Photo Globe - Toronto's only about 45 minutes away, so I'll check them out! Thanks for your input on the Phottix too. I'm going to check them out, and see if they fit my needs.