Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Canon A610 internal Lithium battery - any advice?

Real Name
    Ted

Canon A610 internal Lithium battery - any advice?

Been trying out a recently acquired used Canon A610. It's not remembering my settings and always boots up with the default settings. Very irritating because this is one of the reasons I'm replacing Wifey's Kodak C643.

It's had fresh AA (main power) batteries in it for a day now, so the internal battery should have some charge in it (manual recommends 4 hours +).

Has anyone had this problem with a Axxx model and if so how did they fix it?

Unfortunately, the Kodak, for example, has to go back to Kodak who charge more than the camera is worth :-(

Ted

Real Name
    Dan

Re: Canon A610 internal Lithium battery - any advice?

I don't think the lithium battery is rechargeable. If it is gone, you have to replace it.

I had this problem with my 50D last year. I replaced the lithium battery. Didn't help. Sent it to Canon. They charged me for the repair, sent it back saying that it was in spec with no notation of what was wrong, but it has worked ever since.

I would remove both batteries. Then insert a new internal battery. the manual will tell you how to replace it, and they cost only a few dollars. Finally put your regular battery back in. In most cases, that will take care of it.

Real Name
    Ted

Thanks for a quick response Dan,

According to the A610/620 manual, there is a lithium (-ion?) battery inside which charges up slowly (4+ hours) from the "main" AA batteries, of which there are four. The manual says nothing about replacing the internal battery, sad to say. I've already looked in/under all the hatches and in the battery compartment to no avail. I have a horrible feeling that it's on the PCB inside and should properly go back to Canon, grrrr.

best,

Ted

Real Name
    Mario

Hello Ted.

I checked the manual and camera user guide corresponding to your camera model; it didn't say nothing you already knew. From the user guide:

A rechargeable lithium battery is built into the camera to save such settings as the date/time. This battery charges when the main batteries are in the camera. When you purchase the camera, place the main batteries in it for approximately four hours or use AC Adapter Kit ACK600 (sold separately) to charge the lithium battery. It will charge even if the camera is turned off.
    Quote Originally Posted by xpatUSA View Post
    I have a horrible feeling that it's on the PCB inside and should properly go back to Canon, grrrr.
    So what's the problem?. Just get a soldering iron and replace it. .

Real Name
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Photon Hacker View Post
    Hello Ted.

So what's the problem?. Just get a soldering iron and replace it. .
    Good one, and if anyone has done it on this model I would love to, 'cos it ain't going to Canon, that's for sure . .

Ted