Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boeing History of flight museum

Real Name
    Dave

Boeing History of flight museum

Just spent the weekend in Seattle. Here are several pictures I took while at the Museum. This is an amazing display of aircraft of all types. Enjoy these HDR images.

Real Name
    Darren

Re: Boeing History of flight museum

Sweet! I have had my eye on this place for weeks but have not found the time to get there. It's on my hit list for sure. I love the SR-71 head on shot. Do they mind if you take a tripod into the museum?

Real Name
    Dave

Not a problem, used a tripod all day. Get there early so you beat the crowds. These are all single image HDR with NIK software. There is only a few areas where no photos are allowed.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by risingwolf View Post
    These are all single image HDR
    Hi Dave,

If it's shot from a single image then it isn't HDR (looking more like just tone-mapped).

That aside though, they're all looking significantly under-exposed at this end ... I'm a bit of a plane buff and would love to tour this museum - so I payed particular attention to this thread But when I popped the first image into Photoshop I had to raise the exposure 1.75EV to get the highlights touching the top of the histogram (and the image coming to life) -- the other two look about the same.

Real Name
    Dave

Thanks, tried the same in lightroom and it made a difference. New at this type of photos. You would love the museum.

Real Name
    Darren

Quote Originally Posted by risingwolf View Post
    Not a problem, used a tripod all day. Get there early so you beat the crowds. These are all single image HDR with NIK software. There is only a few areas where no photos are allowed.
    Just out of curiosity, why are no cameras allowed in certain areas? I guess I'll need to know before I show up. I live probably 12-15 miles away. You beat me to it... I actually planned on going last weekend, but decided on the zoo instead.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Nice shots, Dave! I got to go there about a year ago and got this one of the SR-71 Blackbird (actually an M-21/D21).

Same aircraft as in your photo but with a different background.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 10th April 2012 at 01:08 PM.

Real Name
    Dave

The one area that said no photos was in the oldest building where the first Boeing was made. There were lots of documents on display and I assume that since most people use flash they want keep cameras from being used. Very small display and the rest of the museum was open to photography.

Not a curator but this makes the most sense. But I never asked.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Momo View Post
    Just out of curiosity, why are no cameras allowed in certain areas? I guess I'll need to know before I show up. I live probably 12-15 miles away. You beat me to it... I actually planned on going last weekend, but decided on the zoo instead.
    Sacrilege!

If I lived that close I'd be practially sleeping under the aircraft!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Nice shots, Dave! I got to go there about a year ago and got this one of the SR-71 Blackbird.

Same aircraft as in your photo but with a different background.
    Ummm -- you seem to have created a new 3-Engine hybrid there Frank!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Ummm -- you seem to have created a new 3-Engine hybrid there Frank!
    Anyone know what the story is with that? A third engine in a tail??? What the ...?

Real Name
    Darren

I have seen lots of photos of the SR71, but never one with a 3rd engine. I must go see this thing!

Real Name
    Paul

Colin, this place is pretty cool. I have yet to photograph it always having went with someone else. One of these days I will pick my way through it though. It is well worth the visit.

As for the images Dave. I agree they could use a boost. I can only imagine the difficulty in shooting this place as it can be very busy even without 200 people running around.

Real Name
    Johnny

Quote Originally Posted by Momo View Post
    I have seen lots of photos of the SR71, but never one with a 3rd engine. I must go see this thing!
    I believe it is a drone, though I've never seen one on an the aircraft, I have seen the mount. It most certainly wasn't a boost engine as that bird needed no additional help getting to speed or altitude...love that Sabu'; that's my baby. The shot above isn't the final production model. I believe it is the YA-71 prototype designation...ah, but so long ago...CRS is settling in...

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Anyone know what the story is with that? A third engine in a tail??? What the ...?
    As Johnny says, this is a (D-21 ram-jet reconnaissance) drone that can be launched in flight. The D-21 was designed to carry a single high-resolution photographic camera over a preprogrammed path, and then release the camera module into the air for retrieval, after which the drone would self-destruct. Only four operational launches were performed over China (none of which were successful) before the program was cancelled in 1971.

The A-12 is a reconnaissance (spy) aircraft that was designed to replace the U-2 and was made obsolete by super sharp satellite imagery and unmanned reconnaissance aircraft that were used when immediate reconnaissance was required and there were no satellites available that would overfly the target within the specified time. The A-12 was the predecessor to the SR-71.

This particular aircraft was one of two M-21s built, a variant of the A-12. The second cockpit was for the drone's Launch Control Officer.

There were also three aircraft built as YF-12 variants, designated as interceptor aircraft to replace the F-106 Delta Dart. The YF-12 was made public in 1964 but in reality they were not used as interceptors at all but rather used primarily by NASA for research for the eventual B1 bomber project. When an A-12 or SR-71 replacement of the A-12 was spotted, it was claimed to be the YF-12 interceptor to keep the A-12's and SR-71's existence a secret.

The 'M' and 'D' designations in the A-12 program stood for Mother and Daughter (drone). For more information, please see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lockheed_M-21#M-21.
    Last edited by FrankMi; 10th April 2012 at 01:13 PM.

Real Name
    Johnny

Appears my CRS is not as bad as I thought...I did remember something.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
    that bird needed no additional help getting to speed or altitude
    I still love the story of the new air traffic controller who gets a request from the (in-flight) SR-71 to fly at 80,000 feet. He thinks they're "pulling the new boys leg" so he says "if you can get there, you can have it". To which the SR-71 replies: "Roger. Commencing descent from 100,000 feet"!

Real Name
    Johnny

Far more truth to that, than fiction...and, and, well, that's all I can say about that.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyG View Post
    Far more truth to that, than fiction...and, and, well, that's all I can say about that.
    Was that you RV parked outside Area 51 last week?

Real Name
    Johnny

Been there, but not outside... Interesting place - I think. Was flown in on a plane with blacked out windows, driven from the holding area to my "station" in a van with blacked out windows, and put in a room with...no windows. Follow the steps in reverse for my exit. Black Ops all the way, I'd guess, though no one ever said a word in that regard. Better part of valor was not to ask questions, hear, see, or remember.

Now, what was it we were discussing?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast