Brookline Parade

11\
    Brookline Parade

12\
    Brookline Parade

Comments are welcome!

Thanks.

Re: Brookline Parade

To me, your images look sharp and bright, inspite of what appears to have been challenging conditions.

With some of those photos I would suggest a tighter crop to remove part of the uninteresting background and focus more on the main subjects. I often vary the crop ratio to suit the scene. For instance crop a 3 x 2 ratio image to 5 x 4 (or 4 x 5) etc. Or the other way around, whatever gives the best impact.

Unstraight backgrounds often worry me. After years of photographing from a moving boat, I have developed a 'little voice' which screams 'Is the horizon level' as I am about to press the button. Upright items like lamp posts etc still catch me out sometimes and I have to do a bit of rotation before cropping.

Sometimes an unstraight angle can work well but I prefer most street scenes to look natural without distracting angles, as with your second photo.

But all in all, a good set of photos.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    To me, your images look sharp and bright, inspite of what appears to have been challenging conditions.

With some of those photos I would suggest a tighter crop to remove part of the uninteresting background and focus more on the main subjects. I often vary the crop ratio to suit the scene. For instance crop a 3 x 2 ratio image to 5 x 4 (or 4 x 5) etc. Or the other way around, whatever gives the best impact.

Unstraight backgrounds often worry me. After years of photographing from a moving boat, I have developed a 'little voice' which screams 'Is the horizon level' as I am about to press the button. Upright items like lamp posts etc still catch me out sometimes and I have to do a bit of rotation before cropping.

Sometimes an unstraight angle can work well but I prefer most street scenes to look natural without distracting angles, as with your second photo.

But all in all, a good set of photos.

Thanks, Goeff. I agree completely with your comment about straightening the background/horizon. I was trying to be cute with a few of them but I did not notice that in rest of them

Thanks again.

Real Name
    António Correia

The pictures are very well photographed.
    Th weather was not helping and only a few people were assisting ...

Nice but yes, needs a little straightening and cropping. Btw, I grew up in Brookline.

Real Name
    Ali

Quote Originally Posted by Amberglass View Post
    Nice but yes, needs a little straightening and cropping. Btw, I grew up in Brookline.
    Thanks, Amebrglass, for the comments. I live in Coolidge Corner. May be we should organize a Brookline Photographers Meeting...

Quote Originally Posted by Alis View Post
    Thanks, Amebrglass, for the comments. I live in Coolidge Corner. May be we should organize a Brookline Photographers Meeting...
    Sounds good to me! I actually sold some camera gear to a gentlemen in Belmont who works in Newton. He now tags along with me on shoots because he wanted to learn from me. LOL
    Last edited by Amberglass; 8th July 2009 at 06:14 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

I was at a 4th of July parade this weekend. Parades are tough, you did a good job of exposing your subjects correctly. I like the shots where the background is out of focus. The last one is my favorite.