Thread: SS Dicky

Real Name
    Mark

SS Dicky

The SS Dicky at Dicky Beach, QLD. The surf was up with about a 2 mitre swell; the spotter stayed in bed so I had one eye on the viewfinder and the other on the approaching waves. Spent a lot of the time with the tripod held high and the wash around my thighs. Not sure what the people on the beach thought!

Anyway, I've realised I've been fixated on F11 using this Canon 10-22 lens; trying to get max sharpness and DoF. This morning (last week) I decided to work with slower the shutter speeds. Lee .9 GND used.

C&C welcome.

7D, Canon 10-22 @ 15mm, 1/6 @ f22, ISO 100. Levels, sharpening and cropping in CS5.
    SS Dicky

7D, Canon 10-22 @ 22mm, 0.4 @ f7.1, ISO 100. Levels, sharpening and cropping in CS5.
    SS Dicky

7D, Canon 10-22 @ 10mm, 1/30 @ f10, ISO 100. Levels, sharpening and cropping in CS5.
    SS Dicky

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: SS Dicky

A fine set of images.

On the second one, the timbers start to get a bit lost in he breaking wave coming in behind. I wonder if a shot just a couple of seconds before this when it was flatter, lighter-toned water behind all of the timbers, would have worked better (I appreciate that you will have deliberately timed the shutter release for the moment you did)?

Good work.

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Nice bit of creativity Mark. Well done

Dave

Real Name
    Steve

The first is the one for me

Real Name
    Jason

Hi Mark,

Great shots, really like that first one. I was also impressed with your monochrome entry, it got my vote.

Cheers

J

Real Name
    Mark

Now you say that Donald, I can see what you mean about the detail being lost in the waves. My attention was taken up by the wash in the foreground. I'll have a another look to what I've got.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    A fine set of images.

On the second one, the timbers start to get a bit lost in he breaking wave coming in behind. I wonder if a shot just a couple of seconds before this when it was flatter, lighter-toned water behind all of the timbers, would have worked better (I appreciate that you will have deliberately timed the shutter release for the moment you did)?

Good work.

Real Name
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    A fine set of images.

Good work.
    Taken 6 seconds before the (2nd) shot above, tighter crop.

SS Dicky

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by whited3 View Post
    Taken 6 seconds before the (2nd) shot above, tighter crop.
    Lovely one, Mark. The splash against timber just adds in that extra 'oomph' factor (sorry, I don't do 'wows'!).

I think what really makes it click as well is the fact that it's simpler than the image taken just after it. What i mean by that is that is that the foreground contains just one element; i.e. the water rolling over the sand, whereas in the other one, we have the water but we also have the sand as well; i.e. two elements instead on one (am I making sense?). That makes it, what I call, a 'simpler' image; there aren't so many different parts to the picture.

Real Name
    Myra

Beautiful. The only thing I'd try, were I there, would be a faster shutter speed on the first one to create more definition in the breaking surf. Your colours are amazing!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Mark,

#1 is impressive, was it followed by a rapid run backwards to avoid the splash?

I do prefer #4 to #2, for the reasons Donald suggests.

well done,