Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Great Blue for comments

Real Name
    james

Great Blue for comments

This bird had a very distracting background, so I put this one behind it . I liked the way these colors worked. As always appreciate all feedback. thanks for viewing.Great Blue for comments background was shot with a 50 mm.

Real Name
    Paul

Re: Great Blue for comments

James, I do like the colors and you have done quite a good job in the swap. Before reading that you did a swap...I knew it, but I honestly could not tell you how. It might be the lighting as if studied...looks to be coming from the above right and a little flatter on the bird and from the left on the trees. I don't replace backgrounds but can appreciate the work that I am guessing it takes to make one look this good. Well done.

Real Name
    james

Paul I couldnt quite put a finger on it ,but now that you mention it I believe you are right. the bird was shot late in the day with the sun behind and to the right. the background was shot between 10 am and noon with sun up high. I dont really like the idea of changing backgrounds but it was an improvement on the original(which I will post below) I wonder how most feel about changing the background? feel free to sound off folks. Great Blue for comments

Real Name
    Alain De Loor

What a beautiful shot, the other one is nice too, but I prefer this one. Lovely colours and clear to boot. Well done

-Al

Real Name
    Paul

While the first one might have a prettier background I think I may like this origonal better. I don't really find the background distracting but if you do, you could try blurring it and maybe tone it down a step or two. Did you try selective rather than global sharpening?

Real Name
    james

Thanks Al, Paul. I was messing around with some tips Joe gave me for shooting white birds when I caught that pic. Btw thanks Joe worked like a charm

Real Name
    Bobo

I prefer the origintal. Perhaps select the bird, inverse, and apply a curves adjustment to see how it turns out.

Excellent shot btw.

Btw where is the Joe tip about whites ? Thanks.

I think, James, that the original needs a tighter crop of the top and right edge; then it will work fine.

At the moment, I agree with you that it appears a little distracting.

Real Name
    Joe

Hi James...Like others I prefer the original rather than the one you changed to background on. I think Geoff has the right idea about cropping a little off the top, and as Bobo said work on muting or blurring the ocean/background. I think the image is great just a little more post processing to bring out your excellent camera work. Pleased the tip helped you, keep shooting my friend.