Thread: Error Message

Error Message

Hi

my camera canon was dropped from one metter hight and it does not work since this accident, just displaying the message 'err 99'

could anyone tell me what's wrong with it?

thank you in advance

Real Name
    Craig

re: Error Message

As far as i understand it its something to do with communication problems between lens and camera.

Just had a look on the canon site and it states " For Err 99 Remove and re-install the battery. This error may occur if you use a non-Canon lens and the camera or lens does not operate properly."

So when it was dropped it might be the lens connections? have you tried it with another lens?

Craig
    Last edited by Craigs; 6th April 2012 at 10:27 PM.

Real Name
    Kathy

Actually Err 01 is for lens/camera communication issues. [Canon Error Codes]

Err99 is the dread "unknown" error. It's kind of like the old "bluescreen of death". It may mean your camera's dead and needs service. It may not.

The general advice is to remove an external flash (if you were using one), lens, and memory card to take those things out of the equation. (Use the body cap, rather than another lens), and then the battery (or batteries if your model is old enough to have a clock back-up battery). Leave them out for a few hours (or overnight) so that the camera fully powers down. When you switch a camera off, it's not really really off--it's more like in a computer sleep mode. You need to do a hard reset, hence the removal of the batteries.

Then, add back the batteries, and try turning on the camera. If you still have a problem, chances are good the camera needs service. If it's fine, then add back the memory card, and see if it's ok. If that works fine, then add back the lens. If that works, then add back the flash.

Chances are good when you dropped the camera, you might have broken something physically inside. Circuit boards can be delicate.

When my XT Err99ed, I tried all this, nothing worked, and I sent it to Canon Service: turned out the powerboard had gone bad and needed to be replaced.
    Last edited by inkista; 7th April 2012 at 12:30 AM. Reason: whoops. typos

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by inkista View Post
    Actually Err 01 is for lens/camera communication issues. [Canon Error Codes]
    Quite right

However, lens issues still seem to creep into the equasion with Error 99's; not saying it is the lens, but don't eliminate the lens just because it's not an error 01. (in fact definately try another lens in addition to Kathy's combrehansive advice above).

Thank you All for replying

actually i didn't try another lens
    i will follow your advices and see the result

regards

Real Name
    Myra

My Err 99 (Canon 40D) meant I had to replace the shutter. Hope yours is easily fixed!

sorry i still trying to improve my English

well, After several attempts i guess the problem is in the flash, as i get the error message just when the flash
    support is not put
    it means that i could take photos only without flash !!

one more thing is that the computer does not detect it, so i couldn't recover the photos?

Actually the problem of PC connection is resolved but the flash still not working

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by aziza View Post
    sorry i still trying to improve my English
    Help is only a click away

With regards to the flash, does it make a clicking sound just before the Error 99?

Re: Error Message

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Help is only a click away

With regards to the flash, does it make a clicking sound just before the Error 99?
    Thank you for the link

The flash doesn't make any clicking sound, everything seems normal until I open it and try to take a shot!!!

ahhhhhhhhh 'err 99' ............ I'm scared to be unable to use my flash again

Real Name

Re: Error Message

Quote Originally Posted by aziza View Post
    The flash doesn't make any clicking sound, everything seems normal until I open it and try to take a shot!!!
    Does the flash pop up?

ahhhhhhhhh 'err 99' ............ I'm scared to be unable to use my flash again
    Probably did you a favour - on-camera flashes are pretty useless. How about investing in a proper flash that you can mount on the hotshoe adaptor? (it'll probably cost you less than the camera repair, and get you better images).