Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Butterflies...Nature Smallest

Real Name
    Joe

Butterflies...Nature Smallest

The images below are of two of the smallest butterflies in North America. Look at your thumbnail...that is the size of the butterfly. They fly close to the ground, flitting about, never staying still long. When trying to photograph one looks quite comical following this little creature as it moves about. It's over there...no it's moved, it's over there now and so forth. All the time hoping it will stay put long enough to frame, focus and get off a few frames. These images have flaws but I think they represent a creature many who love nature do not know about and may not have seen.

Easter Pygmy Blue...there is also a Western Pygmy Blue that is very similar.

Ceranus Blue...this butterfly is on the endangered species list, not because it is rare but because it so closely resembles the Miami Blue that is believed to be extinct after Hurricane Andrew in 1992 damaged it last know habitat at Bahia Honda State Park on Big Pine Key.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Butterflies...Nature Smallest

Thanks for sharing #1, if not for the blown (or almost blown) whites it would have been a super shot.

One thing I have learned the hard way is that it is very difficult both chasing something and getting the exposure right at the same time. To get some sort of consistency and hopefully avoid blown highlights I now tend to underexpose a tiny bit to get that little bit of leeway that is needed. If shooting RAW bringing up exposure slightly is usually never any issue.

Real Name
    Joe

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks for sharing #1, if not for the blown (or almost blown) whites it would have been a super shot.

One thing I have learned the hard way is that it is very difficult both chasing something and getting the exposure right at the same time. To get some sort of consistency and hopefully avoid blown highlights I now tend to underexpose a tiny bit to get that little bit of leeway that is needed. If shooting RAW bringing up exposure slightly is usually never any issue.
    Thanks Bobo...easily toned down, the wonders of Lightroom 4 and the highlights slider.

Real Name
    Bobo

Major improvement there. Well done.