Thread: How lucky can one get ?

Real Name
    Bobo

How lucky can one get ?

Real Name
    glenn

Re: How lucky can one get ?

what a fantastic shot bobo .hope oneday i can get a capture like that .

Real Name
    Bobo

Sorry, should have mentioned - it is not mine (unfortunately).

Lucky? The tog probably used scissors to cut down all the surrounding plants to get a clean view and then glued the poor mantis on. You would be amazed how much work can go into some nature shots.

Real Name
    Mars

Quote Originally Posted by dan marchant View Post
    Lucky? The tog probably used scissors to cut down all the surrounding plants to get a clean view and then glued the poor mantis on. You would be amazed how much work can go into some nature shots.
    @@!
    /mindblown

Quote Originally Posted by dan marchant View Post
    Even if they did do all that, or even photoshop it...its still a great peice of art. i hate photographers who go on about this crap, if its pleasing to the eye (which it is) who cares how it was made!!

Quote Originally Posted by Scottharris14 View Post
    Even if they did do all that, or even photoshop it...its still a great peice of art. i hate photographers who go on about this crap, if its pleasing to the eye (which it is) who cares how it was made!!
    Then you should go and find some of those people and aim your ire in their direction. I didn't say it wasn't a lovely piece or art and I wasn't saying there was anything wrong with "gardening" (which is the term used in nature photography for removing unwanted elements). I was merely pointing out that luck isn't a major part of many truly spectacular images. Good planning, patience and preparation are far more important.

Real Name
    Darren

C'mon everyone, be cool... both of you have perfectly valid points. I think the image is great. I also think their may be more to it in terms of setup. That mantis does not appear to be in a natural position. That is, unless it slipped and fell on its belly. I seriously doubt a Mantis is going to naturally straddle the plant like a bike. I see this guy has over 22 pages of comments as well. If you look at his other photos, there are more images with the same sort of setting and backdrop. Makes you wonder if he doesn't have some sort of terrarium stage.

But, regardless, it's a great shot.

If often get flack from other togs about my images. I like HDR; Trey Ratcliff style HDR. I find most traditional togs hate it with a burning passion. So what? I like it and that's all that matters in the creation of my imagery. I also find that most, if not all, non-togs are absolutely fascinated by it and want to know how it's done.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Scottharris14 View Post
    i hate photographers who go on about this crap, if its pleasing to the eye (which it is) who cares how it was made!!
    I suppose the mantis might not be too happy if there was cruelty involved ... or does that count as crap!?
    Last edited by Donald; 8th April 2012 at 02:48 PM.

Just wanted to add for anyone interested that the May issue of (UK mag) Digital SLR Photography magazine has a section on nature photography which lists some of the "gardening" equipment used to hold plants in place (page 65 onwards) and also a four page article on Peiling Lee (page 94-97) who does some very impressive insect macro photography. They are of a similar quality to the one in the OP with the insect in an interesting natural setting.... except that it is actually all set up on a table in her apartment. Well worth a look if you can find a copy (and are interested in giving it a go).