Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: B&w iii

Real Name
    Jeff

B&w iii

My first time out to shoot specifically for B&W. Set the Picture control to monochrome as instructed - bit of a revelation. I see I can concentrate on form & texture ... Anyway let me know if I pulled it off, especially with the conversion. Comments appreciated.

After
    B&w iii
    Before
    B&w iii

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: B&w iii

Quote Originally Posted by escaladieu View Post
    My first time out to shoot specifically for B&W. Set the Picture control to monochrome as instructed - bit of a revelation. I see I can concentrate on form & texture ...
    Jeff - Welcome to the club!

I think you've pulled it off, but I'd be interested in seeing what those who don't specifically shoot for B & W think of it. I think the rather 'gnarled' appearance of the branches takes on much more power when we see it in B & W.

Real Name
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Jeff - Welcome to the club!

I think you've pulled it off, but I'd be interested in seeing what those who don't specifically shoot for B & W think of it. I think the rather 'gnarled' appearance of the branches takes on much more power when we see it in B & W.
    Absolutely ! I found the exercise very liberating since I could shoot stuff that would be mediocre in colour and make a more compelling image out of it. I can see I'm off down a new path.

many thanks

Jeff

Real Name
    Bobo

Personally I prefer the colour version.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Jeff,

I tend to agree with Bobo I'm afraid.

For me, I think B&W works best where the image isn't quite so busy in terms of 'structured' detail, and has larger areas of even tones.

Perhaps I'll do a mono week for P52 one day

Cheers,

I think the problem here, Jeff, is that in B&W the ivy covering the right side tree becomes a little 'heavy' and tends to dominate the lighter texture of the leafless trees.

Maybe try a slight crop of the right and bottom?

But even then, the background building becomes difficult to see clearly without the colour difference.

Real Name
    Jeff

Aw, now you've burst my bubble ! As usual, thanks to all who responded. I put the colour image in for comments on the conversion process, not as a comparison between the two shots. Nonetheless, valuable feedback, many thanks.

J