Thread: Decay

Real Name
    colin

Decay

I took this picture of a ruined jetty and would appreciate some comments and criticism. I quite like the lines of the pylons and the movement of the waves,your thoughts please.
    Colin.Decay

Real Name
    Jim

Re: Decay

Another Colin? Good grief! (ha-ha)

The first thing I noticed is that the horizon line is not level. This is an easy fix. The exposure looks good, but please indentify what, if any, post-production you have applied.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Hi Colin,

The exposure might have been worth half a stop less for the sake of the sky, just to have given more blue, but it's not actually blown.

The sloping horizon is a bit of a sin though

I do like the composition and arrangement of the timbers.

Cheers,

Real Name
    colin

Thank you for your interest,I did a bit of cropping but being restricted to basic editing facilities I couldn't figure what to do about the horizon. Good news for me is I have been today given photo shop elements 7 which should help when I figure it out.
    Cheers Colin.

Real Name
    colin

Thank you for your wise words. The horizon did bother me but the basic editing tools I had did'nt help. However I was given photoshop elements 7 today so I can have a lot of fun with that.

Cheers Colin.

Real Name
    Kevin

Hi Colin,

Congrats on a nice image and getting PSE. There are MANY great video tutorials on PSE (I wouldnt waste much time just trying to read about it-it just doesnt stick). I'd also encourage you to latch onto one person's videos rather than sampling from multiple sources early on- they often accomplish the same thing through slightly different techniques, and it can become a jumble. I have greatly enjoyed Matt Kloskowski's offerings. Unless my recall is faulty, you have to get to PSE 8 to get layer masks without a workaround, and these come in quite handy, but PSE 7 is a great start.
    Best of luck

Kevin

PS: PSE is going to take a while to get decent with it. Lightroom 4 is superb, easy to learn and blends seemlessly with PSE when you need it. I'd start with that, (and shooting in RAW) as you learn PSE-for most shots, Lightroom will be all you need, and it is surprisingly inexpensive. Hope this helps
    Last edited by kdoc856; 5th April 2012 at 01:47 PM. Reason: adding postscript

Real Name
    Dan

The tilt is easy to fix in any software I have used.

I'll throw in one suggestion: think about where you want the horizon line. People often center it, but more often than not, that is not the best place to put it. As a starting point, try the rule of thirds, placing it either 1/3 or 2/3 down from the top. then play around and see what you like the most.

Real Name
    colin

Thank you for taking the time to help me out very much appreciated.
    Colin.

Real Name
    colin

Very happy to take your advice I am relatively new to photography so it all helps.
    Colin.