Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Orchid...Bradm. Shooting Star "Meteor" C&C Appreciated

Real Name
    Joe

Orchid...Bradm. Shooting Star "Meteor" C&C Appreciated

I spent the morning photographing and post processing this orchid. It is one of the first I purchased and still one of my favorites. The blossom reminds me of a large spider. This orchid is from a cross between Brassias and Oncidiums. I chose the lighter background rather than black to soften the starkness of the green and yellow against the black. Your comments and critique are appreciated.

Orchid...Bradm. Shooting Star "Meteor"  C&C Appreciated

up on a knob above Paden City, West Virginia
    Real Name
    Marie Hass

Re: Orchid...Bradm. Shooting Star "Meteor" C&C Appreciated

I hope I am not too bold, but here goes? I love orchids. You have posted a very unique flower. I think I would have liked to see one flower or two. My eye is hopping from one flower to the next because they are all the same tone and texture. I wonder if the white is not too stark as well? It is hard to define the edges of the flowers and the background. Love the composition. It has almost an oriental feel.

Marie

Real Name
    Joe

Hello Marie,

I love orchids also. I understand your comment about maybe one flower or two, actually my first thought was to try to isolate the top tree blossoms. Then I was attracted to a vertical showing more blossoms because of the way the flower stalk is shaped and the blossoms are arranged. It just seemed to depict what I saw better. Most likely I will shoot to isolate one or two blossoms while it is bloom. I normally shoot several versions. Below is posted the black background with minimal post processing, so please do not judge it as a finished product. I appreciate your comments and thoughts and will take them to heart. Thank you.

Real Name
    Ludwig Keck

I like the composition of the first (white background) image. The way it ends at the bottom makes it so beautifully whole and complete. The white seems to be too much for me also, but the black is too stark as well. What works best with yellow flowers? I hope you will show us!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

The images that have been posted illustrate very well the point that Joe made about wanting to try using a white instead of a black background.

I think it shows us that black is the 'obvious' choice, but that a white background is much more creative and artistic. I feel that the flower has a much lighter and delicate feel to it when set against the white background.

I take Marie's point as well about how many flower heads should be included. I have to confess to not being a flower expert. I enjoy beautiful gardens and seeing gorgeous flowers. And to be able to study this one in detail would be fascinating. However, taking the image as piece of art rather than the study of a flower per se, what I think we have in the first image above is a most lovely almost abstract work about line and shape. I think it's wonderful.

Real Name
    Joe

Much appreciated Donald, your comments and opinion are highly valued. A while back I read a comment from Colin, he said when he looked at an image he viewed it with the thought of what it would look like as a canvas print on the wall or gallery. Since reading that I have tried to view and image with that in mind and aim my post processing to achieve that. Thank you for taking the time to view and comment.

Real Name
    Sharon

Joe..it is so elegant on the white ...beautiful composition..smply lovely.

Perhaps a set of 3 images would allow you to show it in it's full oriental glory but also depict single flowers and angles at closer range.

I agree the white is a little harsh, cream wouldn't work ..what about a very pale Dove grey? that may sit well with the acid green/yellow.

Real Name
    Joe

Hello Sharon, here is a version with a stronger vignette. I think it tones down the white to a somewhat light grey. I shall search the closet for a dove grey sheet for a background, I think I remember having one. Thank you for viewing and your comments, much appreciated.

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks Ludwig, somehow I missed your post, I apologize. I am not sure what would compliment the yellow, maybe a light green. Your viewing and comments are much appreciated.