Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Snowy Owls - First time posting....

Real Name
    David

Snowy Owls - First time posting....

[IMG]Snowy Owls - First time posting....

The Snowy Owls were in Boundary Bay, BC, Canada in February. First time shooting these magnificent birds. While they are down south, they feed and rest a lot for their return migration. So not a lot of activity. Mostly all portrait shots.

Real Name
    Bobo

Re: Snowy Owls - First time posting....

NIce shot. I am envious of how close you got.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

David - I don't think you've posted a message into the 'Introduce yourself here' thread (which there is no obligation to do. So, can i just welcome you to CiC and thank you for signing up. I hope you enjoy and that being part of the forum helps your ongoing learning and development.

Well done in getting the capture in the first place. A good bit of work.

I don't know what your knowledge level and use of post-processing is nor how you rate your post-processing skills. But I wonder if the whole thing could do with the exposure being taken back a bit. Overall it feels just a bit bright to me. And, then, I see from the histogram that there is no part blown completely to white (I thought the side of the birds face had, but the histogram says 'No'). So, maybe a slight burn on the left side of the face (as we look at it) would bring back a bit more detail and just tone down what is almost pure white.

Just a suggestion to think about.

Real Name
    Darren

David, welcome to the CiC forum. Your image is inspiring. The snowy owl is my all-time favorite bird... period. I SO wanted to photograph them up north, but it just did not work out. The closest I got recently was the Woodland Park Zoo. Even then, I had a net between me and the bird... so, pics came out a bit funky.

Agree with Donald on the hot spot on the owl's right cheek. But still, I'd be happy if I took that shot.