Thread: Just Back From the BVIs

Real Name
    Homer

Just Back From the BVIs

I returned last night from a seven day trip the British Virgin Islands, which actually followed three days in New Orleans. No good photo opportunities at these locations... NOT! I took an unusually high number of night shots on this trip using the Panasonic f1.7/20 and my trusty Takumar f1.4/50 on my GH2. The results look good so far.

I have 32GB of images to go through. Here's a quick sampler of what's looking good so far.

Just Back From the BVIs
    Jost Van Dyke, Great Harbor at Night

Just Back From the BVIs
    Leveck Bay Marina Pool, Virgin Gorda

Just Back From the BVIs
    Monkey Point, Great Guana Island

Just Back From the BVIs
    St. John Sunbeams

Just Back From the BVIs
    St. John Sky, black and white

Real Name
    Owen

Re: Just Back From the BVIs

Very nice set my fav is Monkey Point

Real Name
    Dave Ellis

Homer I agree with Owen. The last three in particular are very well done and Monkey Point really stands out. This is an image you need to look at for quite a while as it contains some wonderful detail.

Dave

Real Name
    JimC

Homer
    Really like Monkey Point, sounds like you have a lot of fun ahead looking and playing with 32 gigs. Just one observation have you had time to play with it in PP. To my eye the dark rocks seem to take away of what I thought was your focal point. Still a great capture. Look forward to what ever treasures you find in your 32 gig project. JimC

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Boy, did you hit a vein of creativity on this trip!

That's quite a set. Like the others have indicated, Monkey Point does stop you in your tracks. It's the light on the water in the inlet just in front of us that is so wonderful.

You gotta lose that copyright watermark though. It really takes away from the images.

Real Name
    Homer

Thanks for the comments. The photos are all in RAW, so yes, some PP was done on all of them. Indeed, I do have quite a trove of material to go through - I've not even looked at the New Orleans shots yet. BTW, the boat in the Monkey Point shot is the boat we chartered, which makes that shot a little extra special for me.

I used my bean bag for the night shots. This is a good item to keep in your kit it you want to do occasional long exposures. Small and light, a bean bag is a reasonable alternative to a tripod. Having a fold-out viewing screen helps with composing and focusing if you are shooting from a curb or other low position. Then use the 2-second timer on the shutter release.

Real Name
    Paul

Good stuff Homer! I too like best the Monkey Point. That ones a hanger. It really has it all and then some.

Real Name
    james

super set!

Real Name
    Richard

very nice images...

Real Name
    Bobo

Monkey Point.

Nice set of images Homer, Money Point is great, the bird in the shot adds a balance, I also like St Johns sunbeams, great use of thirds, the different colours in the layers of the mountains is very enchancing, looking forward to seeing some more when you have processed them

Real Name
    Homer

So I printed the Monkey Point image. Red River Fine Art White, which I normally like for black and white prints, did not look good. I tried glossy, but that didn't look right either. I went with Red River Polar Pearl Metallic, a paper that I usually wish I had never bothered to buy, and it looks great. I've not used that paper for black and whites before, but is is very satisfactory; not quite as glossy as gloss paper but with an excellent range of tones and a slightly warm coloration. My only complaint is that it is not as thick as the FAW and curls a bit under the matting.

Thank you for all your comments. You know, it's a funny image; no specific subject but a lot of details that do seem to come together well.