Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: pointing the camera into the sun

pointing the camera into the sun

I like my into the sun shots.
    Last edited by Raycer; 3rd February 2009 at 12:26 AM.

Re: pointing the camera into the sun

I liked the second pic, though the sun looks sharp the key light was able to counter it.

Real Name
    Adrian

I do too. I am puzzled by the desire that many photographers have to exclude the sun from photos and pretend it is just a light source somewhere behind them ;-)

I believe someone once told me never point the lens towards a light source. But after I saw a few pictures from www.dqstudios.com i thought rules or no rule, the pictures are fantastic. so i thought i try it out.

mrraycer fascination for light is commendable cz photography means writing with light! mrraycer has taken a step ahead, and brings the light,as much of its as possible into his pic his high key baby pics and now this, two pics of the couple whats special about these pics is that he brought in the BIGBOSS himself,into the pics master of all lights the SUN whats bigger than the sun? nothing! we are just mere dressed up mortals

Real Name
    Ian

The traditional rules have their place and these can be broken to great effect when the photographer has a theme or particular shot in mind.

However shot 1 is to me just a snap, whilst in 2 it is better, I have seen better into the sun shots.

I prefer to use the glints and shimmer of the sun rather than the direct effect (which can damage your eyesight) especially as I don't think that a lot of digitals capture direct sun very well.

[COLOR=white]I certainly agree that there are plenty of sun shots that are way better than my examples. After all, I'm still learning and I'm certain that I'll be learning for a long time. From your comment, a couple of questions came to my mind. First, what do you mean by ‘just a snap shot?’ And second, I'm interested on your view regarding the way digital cameras captures sun.

[COLOR=white]First, you mention that my first shot is just a snap shot? My question is what is a snap shot? And how can I avoid ‘a snap shot’ look? Please keep in mind that more and more of my clients are looking for a more lively/dynamic look. It seems that static posed shots are getting too boring for some. In the case of the first shot, the couple, or rather he was running with me along their side. Giving the condition, it was difficult to take my time for the shot. Excuses aside, how would you do it differently?

[COLOR=white]As for how digital captures sun. I'm not sure if there is a difference in shape of the sun star between film and digital. I thought the shape of the sun star is determined by lens used. Or do you mean the highlight “shoulder” of film makes the highlight looks more pleasing? I do shot in raw, do you suppose I could change my post production to make digital capture of sun look more pleasing?

[COLOR=white]I appreciate you time and I’m always looking for ways to improve my shots.

Real Name
    Ian

Raycer,

Firstly, no offence intended.

The first shot just didn't grab me, and I feared that would also be the view of the casual viewer.

With the explanation of what you were trying to achieve and how you were doing it, the whole thing falls into place and I can make more sense of it.

However, the casual viewer of the album is unlikely to have that background, and whilst it might have been a lot of fun, I would imagine it was something that only you and the couple shared.

On the face of it, a very difficult shot to achieve under any circumstances, though I would entirely agree that the flavour of the times is reportage/'something a little different' rather than the traditional 'Mum & Dad' album shots as a friend of mine calls those traditionally posed shots.

With hindsight I might have tried being further back from the couple (although I can understand that the surroundings may not have been conducive to this) and tried panning them as they moved around me, to give the blurred background effect, or alternatively something I have tried before and that is have them running towards me (or away) and using a long lens. Their movement would be relatively 'slow' where they are moving towards the camera plane rather than across it and additionally you might have been able to use zoom technique to blur the surroundings, whilst leaving them as the main focus. Difficult to achieve but well worthwhile when it works.

However only ideas, I don't want to appear unduly critical without being constructive at the same time.

[COLOR=#cccccc]Hi Shreds,
    [COLOR=#cccccc]Thanks for taking the time to explain your point of view and no offence taken.
    [COLOR=#cccccc]I always know that something more can be done to make it better. Constructive C&C is always appreciated.
    [COLOR=#cccccc]
    [COLOR=#cccccc]Panning the camera is a great idea. I'll try that next time. I guess greater subject-back ground separation would give a little bit more pop.
    [COLOR=#cccccc]
    [COLOR=#cccccc]I've got people walking towards and away shots and have some success. Here's a picture from the same wedding. Again, constructive C&C is greatly appreciated.
    [COLOR=#cccccc]
    [COLOR=#cccccc]Thanks for looking.
    Last edited by Raycer; 3rd February 2009 at 12:26 AM.