Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Almost There

  1. #1
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Almost There

    Sunday I went to Glencairn Garden in Rock Hill, SC, a local city park. Young couples were pushing baby carriages, folks were snoozing on blankets in the sun, and the spring cankerworms were ballooning on silk threads looking for a freshly opened tasty young leaf for lunch.

    Almost There

    I noticed several large bushes of red flowers just starting to bloom. I'm not sure what they are but I thought I'd grab a shot or two.

    With the breeze occasionally gusting mildly, I couldn't get the branches to hold still and as I didn't have anything with me to prevent them from moving I thought I'd take several shots and maybe one of them would come out. In the end, I had to blend pieces of several of the shots to get something that was reasonable sharp.

    Does anyone know what the name of this flower is?

    Almost There

    Hmmm... Looks a bit like the business end of a jet engine!

    CnC welcomed!

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,916
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Almost There

    I'm afraid I can't help with the name of the flower. Looks far too exotic for Glenfarg. All I can do is sit back and enjoy the images.

  3. #3
    Kris V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Posts
    1,629
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

    Re: Almost There

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Sunday I went to Glencairn Garden in Rock Hill, SC, a local city park. Young couples were pushing baby carriages, folks were snoozing on blankets in the sun, and the spring cankerworms were ballooning on silk threads looking for a freshly opened tasty young leaf for lunch.Almost ThereI noticed several large bushes of red flowers just starting to bloom. I'm not sure what they are but I thought I'd grab a shot or two.With the breeze occasionally gusting mildly, I couldn't get the branches to hold still and as I didn't have anything with me to prevent them from moving I thought I'd take several shots and maybe one of them would come out. In the end, I had to blend pieces of several of the shots to get something that was reasonable sharp.Does anyone know what the name of this flower is?Almost ThereHmmm... Looks a bit like the business end of a jet engine!CnC welcomed!
    Nice, Frank. The flower looks like a camelia.

    Here is one (SOOC-just cropped):
    Almost There
    Last edited by Kris V; 27th March 2012 at 06:57 PM.

  4. #4
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Almost There

    Quote Originally Posted by Kris V View Post
    Nice, Frank. The flower looks like a camelia.
    Thanks Kris! With your help I found photos of the Camelia (also spelled Camellia) on-line and I now know why so many of these plants had brown spots on their pedals. It's called 'Pedal Blight', which is very common, and caused by the fungus Ciborinia camelliae.

    Super! I learned something new today, thank you!

    Update: Ah! I see you have posted a picture. I think I like yours better. On second thought, I definitely like yours better!
    Last edited by FrankMi; 27th March 2012 at 09:55 PM.

  5. #5
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Almost There

    Here is a shot of the stream that runs through the gardens.

    Almost There

    It seems to be lacking something. Any suggestions on how I could make this image more appealing?

  6. #6
    Kris V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Posts
    1,629
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

    Re: Almost There

    Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Thanks Kris! With your help I found photos of the Camelia (also spelled Camellia) on-line and I now know why so many of these plants had brown spots on their pedals. It's called 'Pedal Blight', which is very common, and caused by the fungus Ciborinia camelliae.

    Super! I learned something new today, thank you!

    Update: Ah! I see you have posted a picture. I think I like yours better. On second thought, I definitely like yours better!
    Thanks!
    We have a white camelia too - but that one is currently not blooming.

  7. #7
    Kris V's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Deep in the heart of Texas and Fort Wayne Indiana
    Posts
    1,629
    Real Name
    Kristianna-Marie - I listen to Kris too.....

    Re: Almost There

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I'm afraid I can't help with the name of the flower. Looks far too exotic for Glenfarg. All I can do is sit back and enjoy the images.
    No Camelias in Scotland?

  8. #8
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Almost There

    OK. One more for the gardens. There is no way I can compete with the excellent ducks and geese posted by others here at CiC but I am tickled that I finally got a picture of a real live duck!

    I took this one with my Canon SX40 as it has a much longer zoom than the 300mm on my Nikon.

    Almost There
    Last edited by FrankMi; 27th March 2012 at 11:45 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •