Thread: Cursor in PS CS4 is crosshair HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Real Name
    Russell

Cursor in PS CS4 is crosshair HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, My cursor in PS CS4 is showing as a crosshair no matter if I choose ruler tool or a brush, any tool and it will not let me draw a straight line if I want to use the ruler tool for example, so what key have I pushed in error on the keyboard,
    Thanks
    Russ

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Re: Cursor in PS CS4 is crosshair HELP!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by russellsnr View Post
    Hi, My cursor in PS CS4 is showing as a crosshair no matter if I choose ruler tool or a brush, any tool and it will not let me draw a straight line if I want to use the ruler tool for example, so what key have I pushed in error on the keyboard,
    Thanks
    Russ
    Probably nothing, Russ. This is one of those random 'pain in the patootee' issues I get from time to time in CS5 as well. The best I've been able to do is save my work, close out of Photoshop and reopen. Most times this fixes it but occasionally I need to do it more than once. If anyone has a better solution for this issue, I'd love to hear about it but no amount of settings changes I've tried has reliably helped.

I have been having the same problem in Lightroom 3. Closing down and restarting sometimes works and sometimes not. I also get a minus sign and can do nothing at all when it happens except close the program down. I will be watching this post to see if I can learn something about this also. arrrgggg I forgot to put in here that it is when I open Nik Color Efex Pro 4 and open a control point.

Had a good laugh huh Russell ? Glad I could make someone laugh today.
    Last edited by Carl in Louisiana; 27th March 2012 at 08:15 PM.

Real Name
    Russell

HaHa!!!!
    Launch Photoshop and open an image file. Select a tool that uses the paintbrush metaphor to change pixels -- the paintbrush tool, pencil or clone stamp tool, for example.

Move your cursor over the image on the screen. You will see either a brush tip or a crosshair. Most people prefer the brush, because you can see where the changes will take place when you use the tool.

Press the "Caps Lock" key on your computer keyboard to toggle the tool between crosshair and brush tip.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

HaHa!!!!
    Launch Photoshop and open an image file. Select a tool that uses the paintbrush metaphor to change pixels -- the paintbrush tool, pencil or clone stamp tool, for example.

Move your cursor over the image on the screen. You will see either a brush tip or a crosshair. Most people prefer the brush, because you can see where the changes will take place when you use the tool.

Press the "Caps Lock" key on your computer keyboard to toggle the tool between crosshair and brush tip.
    Looks like I can change it that way. The real proof will come when it happens randomly next time. Thanks Russell!

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

This is same in Elements or CS5 - learn something new everyday

There is another way for it to happen though; if you reduce the brush size down to tiny in relation to your image enlargement size, the circle converts to a cross hair again.

So if you're zoomed waay in, have a brush size a few pixels wide, then zoom right out, it will again go to the cross hair.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 27th March 2012 at 08:52 PM.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

Sounds like you've hit the <Caps Lock>. Turn it off and your problem will go away.

This, by the way, is how Photoshop is supposed to work and the documentation covers this feature.

Real Name
    Ron Atkinson

Have you checked out your preference settings, go to
    Edit - Preferences - Cursors
    Then make your choices here.

Real Name
    John

HaHa!!!!

I knew it was a keystroke type of thing but couldn't remember the keystroke. Thanks!

Real Name
    Joe

Thanks for the suggestions! Nothing has solved the problem yet, but I find that by clicking the capslock to "ON" will change some of the tools to the single cursor as originally set, but not all. So the suggestions were at least a help and all are appreciated. Thanks again.......If I eventually find a "cure" I'll post here.

Try this:
    Window > Workspace > Essentials (Default).

If that doesn't help - see "Restore all preferences to default settings" instructions here:
    http://helpx.adobe.com/photoshop/usi...-plug-ins.html

Good luck!