Thread: Scorched

Real Name
    Sharon

Scorched

It has been a strangely dry spell here in Scotland and I saw this burned out tree yesterday that caught my eye.

All comment welcome.

Scorched

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Scorched

Sharon,

I think you have a great subject there. However, I personally am not a huge fan of the reverse vignetting, and I think the main subject needs some more room to breath. I think the B&W conversion is a good idea, but I think it needs more blacks. This might just be me trying to make the image more foreboding, but I think that is what the subject calls for.

Just my $0.02 (which these days doesn't convert to all that much!)

- Bill

Real Name
    Sharon

Thanks for that Bill. It was such a blinding hot day that it was hard to keep the detail in the bark unless I PP'd it in high key. The reverse vignette was to convey the dusty brighness of the day ( in theory! )

I will take your advice on board and have anotjher play with the processing. Appreciate the comments

Real Name
    Sharon

Scorched

Another one while I am here.

Real Name
    Jim

You've got an eye for subject matter. Have a look at some of Ansel Adam's work. Try to pick out how he would have treated a similar subject.

Also, there is a technique of making two images, one exposed for the dark details, and one for the lighter ones, then putting them together in PS. I don't actually know how to do this, just heard about it, but that may be the key to getting the dark and light details in balance. Artistically, it appears to need some balance at the top of the frame, such as a dark sky with light clouds in it.

Furthermore, the plants at the base are distracting. I once took a class from a pro who routinely removed branches that were in the way of his getting the composition that he wanted. Of course, I know there will be a problem with destroying someone's property, particularly without permission.

Real Name
    Sharon

Thank you for taking time to give me such a considered reply Jim...much appreciated.

I have a tendancy to make my landscapes very dark and brooding as you can see with this pic. and am trying to bring out my delicate side...perhaps I have overdone it All a learning curve though.

Scorched