Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Monitor color calibration - spyder ok?

Monitor color calibration - spyder ok?

What do you think about this program for calibrating my computer screen? I'm new to all of this but would like to start working in RAW.
    http://spyder.datacolor.com/product-mc-s2e.php

~Heather

Re: calibrating

Just read this thread. Spyder3 color calibration
    Now I have an additional question. Should I or shouldn't I? I want to start printing more of my pictures (if it ever stops raining I can start taking some again) and have also had a few people ask me to take some pictures for them.

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Hi Heather,

Just be aware that the Spyder III by itself is just for monitor profiling; if you have a printer that you want to profile as well then you'll need the Spyder III Elite package.

The benefit you get really depends on how far out your existing monitor is ... it might already be spot on or it moght be miles out, so I quess that the spyder really gets you two things: 1, accurate colours and levels, and 2, peace of mind in knowing that you've plugged another hole where something could go wrong.

Personally I find it a bit frustrating in that you'll pay good money for it and hardly ever use it - but that's just part of the joy of the game I'm afraid

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Southern View Post
    Hi Heather,

Just be aware that the Spyder III by itself is just for monitor profiling; if you have a printer that you want to profile as well then you'll need the Spyder III Elite package.

The benefit you get really depends on how far out your existing monitor is ... it might already be spot on or it moght be miles out, so I quess that the spyder really gets you two things: 1, accurate colours and levels, and 2, peace of mind in knowing that you've plugged another hole where something could go wrong.

Personally I find it a bit frustrating in that you'll pay good money for it and hardly ever use it - but that's just part of the joy of the game I'm afraid
    I don't print photos at home often. My printer is ok but not great. It's a Lexmark all-in-one that I recieved as a gift. I wouldn't print anything off of it that I would want to frame. Mostly just use it when my 12 year-old wants to print a picture.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by heather4279 View Post
    I don't print photos at home often. My printer is ok but not great. It's a Lexmark all-in-one that I recieved as a gift. I wouldn't print anything off of it that I would want to frame. Mostly just use it when my 12 year-old wants to print a picture.
    Essentially what we're trying to do is profile and calibrate to a standard - assuming that the printer is matched to the same standard then (in theory) there won't be any surprises.

If you were "super keen" you could also get a copy of the printer profile (for whoever you use) so that you could soft-proof ("see how the printed output might look on your monitor), but in practice I've found this to be of extremely limited value.

If you can afford it I'd say just grab the Spyder III and make a start - it's one step closer to perfection - and one less thing to have to worry about (plus you can charge others to make profiles for them)!

If you can afford it I'd say just grab the Spyder III and make a start - it's one step closer to perfection - and one less thing to have to worry about (plus you can charge others to make profiles for them)!
    The Spyder III is a bit too steep for me. That's why I was asking about the Spyder II.

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by heather4279 View Post
    The Spyder III is a bit too steep for me. That's why I was asking about the Spyder II.
    Ah - OK. Spyder II is OK as well (I've got one of those as well)

Ah - OK. Spyder II is OK as well (I've got one of those as well)
    Well in that case, you can just send me yours!

~Heather

Real Name

Re: Monitor color calibration - spyder ok?

Unfortunately, someone else has first dibbs on it - although it has been 10 months since I least heard from him

Unfortunately, someone else has first dibbs on it - although it has been 10 months since I least heard from him
    That's way to long to have first dibbs on anything!

Heather,

You can still find the Spyder II on store shelves, and Bestbuy has Spyder II online.

You don't necessarily need ambient light mesasurment, unless you want tobe extremely picky about how you percieve colors on your monitor.

Heres the link.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1162594972219
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 24th June 2009 at 01:50 AM.

Real Name
    Jim

I just bought the Spyder2 Express.It's "bare bones" but definitely made a difference in my prints.
    Jim

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by kevinbythebeach View Post
    You don't necessarily need ambient light mesasurment, unless you want tobe extremely picky about how you percieve colors on your monitor.
    The Spyder II does ambient light measurement, but it only takes a "static" sample at the time you do your profiling (you have to turn the device around to do it). The Spyder III has a seperate sensor and is designed to be active all the time, but to be honest, it's more of a pain than an assett.