Thread: Acronyms

Real Name
    Jim Christian

Acronyms

I am new to this digital photography as far as now I'm really trying to learn. I read the threads of topics I'm interested in but have tons of trouble understanding what is being said because everyone uses acronyms to describe their processes. Is there a list of what most of these are anywhere that I could use to understand what is being said. I am light years behind the curve of digital photography and it's language. HELP
    Thank you anyone.

Real Name
    Richard

Re: Acronyms

How about this...

http://www.wonderfulphotos.com/artic...eras/acronyms/

It is missing a couple. I am sure other members can contribute more acronyms...

OOF: out of focus
    IQ: Image quality
    VC: Tamron's vibration control

Real Name
    glenn

[QUOTE=rpcrowe;197832]How about this...

hi richard that looks like a useful site for beginners,thanks for the link.
    glenn.

Real Name
    glenn

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    How about this...

OOF: out of focus
    IQ: Image quality
    VC: Tamron's vibration control

richard i have just read your biography on your website.
    i have got to say firstly what a fantastic career and life you have lead,and are still living.
    i bet i could spend hours listening to you recalling past activities of your career and life.
    and on top of all that your a dog lover as well. great stuff
    regards glenn.

Real Name
    Steve

Real Name
    Richard

I have worked with digital still photography for years and years. I have also worked professionally a a cinematographer and motion picture director. However I am now learning digital video.

Much of the terminology of still digital photography and cinematography is directly transferrable to digital video but, I have a whole new lexicon to learn such as:

KEYFRAME: Video comprssion codecs commonly distinguish between three types of frames, Keyframes, or I-frames are completely self referential. Usually they are compressed with an intraframe compression scheme. In contrast, the reconstruction of B-frames and P-frames partially depends on information contained in the surrounding frames. B-frames can use redundant information in frames both before and after it, while P-frames can only use redundant information contained in preceding frames...

Reading this, I can relate to someone just being introduced to digital still photography when a basic knowledge of terms is necessary in order to even understand the explanations offered...

Real Name
    António Correia

Perhaps this can be of some help...

Real Name
    Jim Christian

I can't thank you all enough. Really appreciate the ability to follow some of the threads now.

Real Name
    Jim Christian

You know, can't believe that I didn't even think to do your suggestion. I guess I just don't realize how much information is out there on the internet. I have also found youtube to be helpful in some things. Where will it ever end????

Real Name
    Virginia

Not likely to be an end. I did my first website (two pages) over Christmas 1990 after learning HTML on Thanksgiving 1990 wait, wait, wait ...

on the beach at Copacabana (yup, the one in Brazil) where I was a visiting speaker at a supercomputing conference and talked to a speaker from CERN where Tim Berners-Lee was working at the time.

And, I've been doing them and related computation ever since. I've attended several HTML5 classes and it's going to be dragging along a bunch of new functionality, including that it will ultimately, depending on the browser dudes, have native capabilities to do all the stuff you do now with plugins AND to create and edit graphical objects such as still and animated objects (and the same with audio objects) since video and audio both will have their respective tags.

So, sorry, sorry to say, JimChris, it's going to keep growing and what you can do with and on the web is going to get better from my perspective. I can't wait until all the plug-in dudes have to find something else to do with their spare time! I'm jes' sayin'!

v

v