Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: First RAW image through Aperture

Real Name
    Mike

First RAW image through Aperture

Its been a bit crazy lately... got the Aperture program installed, then spend a lot of time trying to figure it out getting the whole thing started related to data storage and in the process went though a trial and error period where my computer was automatically converting RAW images to JPEG when I didn't want it to, then not finding good clear Aperture instructions out there... Until I ran into ApertureExpert.com. Finally got it figured out and started testing it out with a recent raw image...

The feathers on the top of the snow geese was washed out initially, so I worked on the adjustments... how is the overall look?

First RAW image through Aperture

Real Name
    Tim

Re: First RAW image through Aperture

Good recovery. Well done. Was the light really that yellow/gold? or is that a look you're trying to get?
    Tim

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Other than cutting off the feet, nice image, Mike. The shadow on the neck and the EXIF data indicate that this was a late afternoon shot. In these situatuations I'm never sure if the white balance should be corrected or left as shot?

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

The feathers look good to me. There is detail and structure throughout so I think you did a good job here.

Real Name
    Mike

Yeah it was before sunset. The colors are pretty much as is, except the image is a smidgen darker as I was playing with certain levels with the focus on getting the detail in the plumage. The shadow in the back of the head was darker in the original. I also burned out some bright spots on some of the leaves/weeds that were distracting.

Yeah, I noticed the cut off feet… was on my knees while a bunch of geese were wobbling around me on the path.

I like aperture. Once I figured out how I was going to store the data with which external HD, and understanding how they are identified, the rest was easier. Still need alot of practice to get as good as alot of you are in PP.

Real Name
    Tom McKay

Like the Snow Goose & I too think it would be better with feet.
    Want to just point you in the direction of ApertureExpert tutorials. I started with Aperture, found it bewildering until I discovered the tutorial videos there. I think the last one completes the set its #16 maybe but I downloaded the ones I had missed for $2 each. Frankly they should be compulsory viewing!
    I still every now & then play the very 1st one to remember how importing is explained. You have no idea how complex the import can be until you view it.

Real Name
    Mike

Thanks Tom… I found ApertureExpert and am going through that site