Thread: Sunset

Real Name
    Keat

Sunset

upload2.jpgHi this is another picture that I took on the same day but further down from the hut (from the previous picture I posted up here).

1. What you are trying to accomplish
    For this picture, I am trying to frame up the 'layers of colours' in the sky.

2. What you did to move toward that goal
    I left a part of the beach as my foreground, hoping to add depth (not sure if it works). For this, I did not really keep the 1/3 ratio because I was hoping to catch the reflection of the colours over the sea too.

3. What aspect of the image you would like to see improved, and
    I'm hoping to improve on the composition of this picture and the post processing part of it. I used HDR for this picture too. I'm not sure if looks too much like an airbrushed picture instead.

4. What you feel your skill level is in this area.
    My skill are still at beginner level in both composition and post processing.

Do let me know your honest opinions and C&C for improving this picture. Much thanks in advance!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Real Name
    Allan Short

Re: Sunset

Keat: very pleasing image, wish I would have shot it not you then it would be mine. As to your questions: 1 you did, 2 again you did (remember some call them rules look at them more as a guide line), 3 I would only suggest lighting up the beach a little. To me the orange in the sky and the water pull my eyes into the centre of the image (good), however that beach keeps yanking my eyes back. The composition is very good and the pp is excellent IMHO.

Cheers

Allan

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Keat, you have a great image that has captured the 'layers of colours' you were shooting for. The beach does help add depth. The key to applying HDR technique is to not have the viewer notice the HDR, but rather think of the image in terms of what they would expect to see in a pleasing image. I feel that you have done very well in that aspect here.

There are a couple of things you could consider. First, the horizon is almost at the halfway mark in the image, dividing the image in half. There is more solid blue sky with nothing in it than needs to be in this kind of an image. Third, wide horizontal lines in a landscape can sometimes benefit from a 2:1 ratio, that is, a crop where the image is twice as wide as it is tall. This can create an expansive feeling as big as the great outdoors.

There is an alternative 'rule of thirds' that can often be applied to a landscape image and that is 'put something interesting in each (vertical) third of the image'.

All of these concerns can be addressed with a simple crop. Consider removing enough sky to put the horizon at approximately the 2/3 line up from the bottom. That will place the dramatic sky in the top third without losing any of the detail in the sunset lit clouds. Next, play with cropping the beach only as much as necessary to achieve the 2:1 ratio and retain the majority of the water in the center third of the image. You may end up not needing to crop any of the beach as long as you can get the 2:1 ratio and have approximately 2/3rds of the image from the horizon down. This will leave you with the beach in the bottom third to provide the feeling of depth, and the sand bar, majority of the water, and the sky reflections in the middle third for interest. Hope this helps!

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Keat - Allan and Frank have given a very clear and, in my opinion, very good analysis and advice on your iamge. So I would merely come in to add my congratulations on produing such an engaging, almost abstract image of line and shape, as well as colour. But also, congratulations on your ability to set goals and self-assess your performance against those goals. That's what learning is about.

Real Name
    Keat

Quote Originally Posted by Polar01 View Post
    Keat: very pleasing image, wish I would have shot it not you then it would be mine. As to your questions: 1 you did, 2 again you did (remember some call them rules look at them more as a guide line), 3 I would only suggest lighting up the beach a little. To me the orange in the sky and the water pull my eyes into the centre of the image (good), however that beach keeps yanking my eyes back. The composition is very good and the pp is excellent IMHO.

Cheers

Allan
    Thanks a lot for the compliments. Will try to pp the picture again with a brighter beach.

Real Name
    Keat

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Keat, you have a great image that has captured the 'layers of colours' you were shooting for. The beach does help add depth. The key to applying HDR technique is to not have the viewer notice the HDR, but rather think of the image in terms of what they would expect to see in a pleasing image. I feel that you have done very well in that aspect here.

There are a couple of things you could consider. First, the horizon is almost at the halfway mark in the image, dividing the image in half. There is more solid blue sky with nothing in it than needs to be in this kind of an image. Third, wide horizontal lines in a landscape can sometimes benefit from a 2:1 ratio, that is, a crop where the image is twice as wide as it is tall. This can create an expansive feeling as big as the great outdoors.

There is an alternative 'rule of thirds' that can often be applied to a landscape image and that is 'put something interesting in each (vertical) third of the image'.

All of these concerns can be addressed with a simple crop. Consider removing enough sky to put the horizon at approximately the 2/3 line up from the bottom. That will place the dramatic sky in the top third without losing any of the detail in the sunset lit clouds. Next, play with cropping the beach only as much as necessary to achieve the 2:1 ratio and retain the majority of the water in the center third of the image. You may end up not needing to crop any of the beach as long as you can get the 2:1 ratio and have approximately 2/3rds of the image from the horizon down. This will leave you with the beach in the bottom third to provide the feeling of depth, and the sand bar, majority of the water, and the sky reflections in the middle third for interest. Hope this helps!
    Thanks a lot for the great advise on the cropping of the image! Will pp the picture again with your suggestions too!

Real Name
    Keat

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    Keat - Allan and Frank have given a very clear and, in my opinion, very good analysis and advice on your iamge. So I would merely come in to add my congratulations on produing such an engaging, almost abstract image of line and shape, as well as colour. But also, congratulations on your ability to set goals and self-assess your performance against those goals. That's what learning is about.
    Thanks! Am hoping to learn more about landscape photography. All those great landscape photos out there just make me want to learn even more to take better pictures!

Real Name
    Keat

upload3.jpgI edited the picture again with the suggestions from Polar01 and Frank Miller. It definitely looked much better with the brighter beach and 1:2 ratio! Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images