playing with fire

playing with fire

playing with fire

playing with fire

playing with fire

playing with fire

playing with fire

playing with fire
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 18th March 2012 at 09:54 AM. Reason: added numbers

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: playing with fire

Quote Originally Posted by Captured View Post
    SOOC: Shot JPEG, no RAW and no tripod
    Canon s95
    any other tips welcomed!
    Yes, please - if you add numbers so we can refer to them without both us and you having to count down the page to see which one we are talking about, it helps

On to the series ...

You've done pretty well with most, but on a few; focus missed by too much and (IMHO) they should have been binned (7 & 8), I prefer the sharp ones.

Beyond that, they are abstract patterns in most cases, except where we see the grate or fuel.

Good work Krisztina.

Cheers,
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 18th March 2012 at 11:45 AM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Krisztina, fire is a real challenge to get a good image of but I'm glad to see that you are willing to give it a try. Although I wouldn't know where to start to offer suggestions for improvement, the last one is my favorite.

Real Name
    Krisztina

Thank You, Dave. I totally agree- should have numbered the images! oopsie.
    I agree that 7 and 8 didn't quite make it. What I would like to attempt to do in the future is be able to capture smoke/fire - the movement- it's opacity, the abstract shapes it makes.... need to play with shutter speed - and attempt to create images like the waterfalls, or waves crashing on the beach between rocks- the smooth, wispy, dreamy, painted like scenes. Do you know what I'm trying to get at???

Real Name
    Krisztina

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi Krisztina, fire is a real challenge to get a good image of but I'm glad to see that you are willing to give it a try. Although I wouldn't know where to start to offer suggestions for improvement, the last one is my favorite.
    Thanks, Frank. My hubby liked the sharper fire image, too. Not so much of a fan of my abstract as I am.

Real Name
    Krisztina

PP-in Picnik. for fun.

playing with fire
    playing with fire

Real Name
    Paul

Krisztina, fire is a tough one but keep at it, it can make for a very compelling image. I have very few and It was not the coplete subject in my favorites. Of yours I like #2 and #3 the best. In mine I chose a higher shutter speed of 1/500 to get some of the edges sharp and not blow anything out to badly and F4 to allow much of it to not be totally sharp, shooting with a 50mm. All said it is really going to be practice and trial and error to find that perfect mix that gives you what you are looking for. I can post an example here if you like but did not want to clog up your thread with someone elses image.

Real Name
    Krisztina

Quote Originally Posted by jeeperman View Post
    Krisztina, fire is a tough one but keep at it, it can make for a very compelling image. I have very few and It was not the coplete subject in my favorites. Of yours I like #2 and #3 the best. In mine I chose a higher shutter speed of 1/500 to get some of the edges sharp and not blow anything out to badly and F4 to allow much of it to not be totally sharp, shooting with a 50mm. All said it is really going to be practice and trial and error to find that perfect mix that gives you what you are looking for. I can post an example here if you like but did not want to clog up your thread with someone elses image.
    Thanks, Paul! I really like number 3 as well! Trail and error. That's what it's all about. Hoping for more successful ones in the future! I don't mind you sharing your fire photos on this thread! Appreciate it, thank you!

Real Name
    Paul

I have shared it here previously but it was some time ago. I realize it is not exactly an abstract like what you are doing but I thought maybe it would be of intrest to see and know the settings, which are the ones above. =} In this....what I wanted is to keep the homeless gentleman rather shadowed and show the warth he was getting from the fire. While you can see a beam of light coming in above and threw the fire it was only in the 20s.

playing with fire