Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Moss?

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Moss?

Not having really looked at moss on a tree before, or even checking to see if this was the North side of the tree, I'm guessing that this is moss.

At any rate, several folks have recommended the product Zerene Stacker for focus stacking images so I though I'd give the free trial copy a go. This is my first result from using 22 focus stacked images of the side of a tree using Zerene Stacker.

Moss?

Real Name
    Toņo

Re: Moss?

Hi Frank

Forgive my ignorance. What is focus staking?

Toņo

Real Name
    Chris

I'd guess that might be lichen... but no matter.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Toņo, focus stacking is one of many stacking techniques that we can use to enhance some aspect of an image. In the case of focus stacking it is taking multiple images of the same object with the focus point slightly changed for each image. Then, using software, all the images are merged into one by taking the sharpest parts of each original image and combining them to produce a single output image, such as the one above. In this image, the DoF of any one of the 22 original images only had a very narrow sliver of the image in focus, but by combining all of those slivers, the result is a highly detailed image with phenomenal DoF as you can see here. Below is one of the original images so that you can see how limited a single image from the stack can be.

Moss?

In this particular shot, only part of the lower left had corner is in focus.

Am I making any sense?

The CiC tutorial on this subject is likely easier to follow: https://www.cambridgeincolour.com/tu...s-stacking.htm
    Last edited by FrankMi; 17th March 2012 at 12:51 AM.

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Moss is my vote. Some dry and some growing. I like the effect of the expanded depth of field you got with this

Maybe tone down the brightness on the tree bark and dead/dry moss?

Real Name
    robert

here's an example of what "stacked focus" givesMoss? the image is a compliation of 18 sequential macro captures

Real Name
    robert

[IMG]Moss?[/IMG] this is another stacked focus image using a freeware program CombineZP, this is a very small stalk of peach colored clover flowers, the stalk is 1/8" wide the flowers are slightly less than 1/16" wide, the image was derived from 17 sequential captures