Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Stray

  1. #1
    Plumcrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    1,545
    Real Name
    Jon

    Stray

    I don't think this cat likes me! Oh well, I am not a huge fan of cats, but this stray was just sitting there while I was taking pictures of a building. I thing he felt left out. Comments welcome.
    Stray

  2. #2
    rpcrowe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Southern California, USA
    Posts
    13,163
    Real Name
    Richard

    Re: Stray

    Good looking kitty...

  3. #3
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,290
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Stray

    Hi Jon,

    There's something about this that doesn't say "SOOC" to me, it says (to me) that the subject and background were PP'd separately, but I can't say exactly what it is that makes me think this. Looks like the cat has some LCE (Local Contrast Enhancement) applied, but it may be more than that.

    OK, I am going to be supercritical now because it is otherwise very good - e.g. exposure is not bad, possibly a little 'hot' in places, WB looks OK too and focus is spot on.

    I think the cat, viewed in Lytebox and fullsize (1,281px 1,600px and scrolling), could be sharper than it is though, it's not bad, but I think it could be better with PP sharpening.

    I think there is some defocused lateral CA which is giving subtle false magenta/green colours to the stonechip ground, but I may be 'over analysing'

    I just looked at the EXIF and see this was taken with a Canon Powershot SX30 IS, so I'm probably correct about the CA, but probably wrong about the processing, that may be some in camera style applied and I believe that also means it was jpg only?

    I see you also shot it fully zoomed in (823mm FFE) so that ain't bad

  4. #4
    Plumcrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    1,545
    Real Name
    Jon

    Re: Stray

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Jon,

    There's something about this that doesn't say "SOOC" to me, it says (to me) that the subject and background were PP'd separately, but I can't say exactly what it is that makes me think this. Looks like the cat has some LCE (Local Contrast Enhancement) applied, but it may be more than that.
    I think there is some defocused lateral CA which is giving subtle false magenta/green colours to the stonechip ground, but I may be 'over analysing'
    I see you also shot it fully zoomed in (823mm FFE) so that ain't bad
    Dave, I will have to admit that I have no clue what "SOOC, LCE and defocused lateral CA" are. I do very little PP work. I play with sliders a very little bit for contrast and brightness. And of course I have learned how to crop an image also. That is the extent of my PP ability for the time being. Layers...stacking...that is all Greek to me. I thank you very much for your comments. Yes it was jpg. One of these days I will upgrade to a different camera, but for the time being, I will continue to have alot of fun with my current one.
    Jon
    Last edited by Plumcrak; 16th March 2012 at 06:54 PM.

  5. #5
    Moderator Dave Humphries's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Windsor, Berks, UK
    Posts
    16,290
    Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

    Re: Stray

    Quote Originally Posted by plumcrak View Post
    Dave, I will have to admit that I have no clue what "SOOC, LCE and defocused lateral CA" are.
    Ooopps, sorry Jon (I should know better, I lose track of who knows what)

    SOOC = Straight Out Of Camera, meaning (virtually*) unprocessed
    LCE = Local Contrast Enhancement (well worth learning sooner) Link
    Lat CA = Lateral Chromatic Abberation, a lens distortion that puts coloured edges on things near the edge of frame Link

    You can always google

    * "virtually" means the shot will probably only have been downsized for display on web, but usually unadjusted and uncropped
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 16th March 2012 at 09:44 PM. Reason: added the asterisk explanation

  6. #6
    Plumcrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    1,545
    Real Name
    Jon

    Re: Stray

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Ooopps, sorry Jon (I should know better, I lose track of who knows what)

    SOOC = Straight Out Of Camera, meaning (virtually*) unprocessed
    LCE = Local Contrast Enhancement (well worth learning sooner) Link
    Lat CA = Lateral Chromatic Abberation, a lens distortion that puts coloured edges on things near the edge of frame Link

    You can always google
    Dave, no need to appologize. This is why I like this site so much. Because of you, and everybody like you, that I learn something everytime I am on here. Thanks so much for sharing your knowledge.

    Jon

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    East Coast of Canada
    Posts
    873
    Real Name
    Myra

    Re: Stray

    Jon, this is such a softly, pretty photo. I see what Dave means about the processing look. There is a bit of a 3D look about the kitty in relation to the background. Lovely job of keeping the background uncluttered. The bits of green could not have been placed better had you put them there by hand; they even complement the cat's eyes.

  8. #8
    Plumcrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    1,545
    Real Name
    Jon

    Re: Stray

    Quote Originally Posted by Maritimer1 View Post
    Jon, this is such a softly, pretty photo. I see what Dave means about the processing look. There is a bit of a 3D look about the kitty in relation to the background. Lovely job of keeping the background uncluttered. The bits of green could not have been placed better had you put them there by hand; they even complement the cat's eyes.
    Thanks Myra, just one of those LUCKY shots. I normally would never have shot a cat(with a camera), but after looking at this on the computer I am glad I did. It came out better than I ever thought it would.

  9. #9
    Plumcrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ft. Wayne, Indiana
    Posts
    1,545
    Real Name
    Jon

    Re: Stray

    Here is the original, just to see what i started with. A little contrast and brightness adjustment and a crop.
    Stray
    Canon powershot sx30i, 1/320s, F5.8, ISO 100, 150.5mm
    Last edited by Plumcrak; 16th March 2012 at 09:08 PM.

  10. #10
    FrankMi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Fort Mill, South Carolina, USA
    Posts
    6,294
    Real Name
    Frank Miller

    Re: Stray

    Nice, Jon. You don't often see one that close to perfect without 'some' post processing. I see that you are using the Canon SX30. I just got the Canon SX40 and for the long reach lens and I love it.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •