Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Rainbow Last Night

  1. #1
    CNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA - California
    Posts
    731
    Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

    Rainbow Last Night

    I'm still up in northern California and last night we were treated to a beautiful and long lasting rainbow as the setting sun shone through a thundersquall near Mt. Shasta. I scrambled through the brush trying to find an angle for a "great" shot. In the end I didn't get any great shots but I'll post a few that, at least, document the event.

    Chuck

    Rainbow Last Night

    Rainbow Last Night

    Rainbow Last Night

  2. #2
    Moderator Donald's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Glenfarg, Scotland
    Posts
    19,916
    Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

    Re: Rainbow Last Night

    Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    In the end I didn't get any great shots...
    Maybe, but #1 has got to rival Colin's entry in last month's challenge for the best complete rainbow.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    361

    Re: Rainbow Last Night

    Chuck,

    Nice to see these pictures. I like the first one.

    Regards,

    Yan

  4. #4

    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    17,662
    Real Name
    Have a guess :)

    Re: Rainbow Last Night

    Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    #1 has got to rival Colin's entry in last month's challenge for the best complete rainbow.
    Nah

    Rainbow Last Night

    In all seriousness, I was lucky enough to capture a complete double rainbow - but I don't think I realised it at the time. Chuck, I'm wondering if the same happened to you? - I see that in the first shot you've got the primary rainbow, but did you realise that there's a secondary one there (you'd have needed a wider field of view to get it though).

    I was quite lucky that I'd not long taken delivery of a 14mm lens - this on a FF camera hace the above shot, with NO cropping

  5. #5
    CNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA - California
    Posts
    731
    Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

    Re: Rainbow Last Night

    Hi Colin:

    I don't think I saw it on the first shot but I saw it on some of the others. I knew it was there but I wasn't sure the camera would pick it up.

    Chuck

  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Location
    Essex, UK
    Posts
    606
    Real Name
    Peter

    Re: Rainbow Last Night

    Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    Hi Colin:

    I don't think I saw it on the first shot but I saw it on some of the others. I knew it was there but I wasn't sure the camera would pick it up.

    Chuck
    Hi Chuck,

    great shots. The second rainbow is there in the second shot and, at least on my monitor, you can see part of it in the first shot, top right corner.

    Peter

  7. #7
    crisscross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Herefordshire UK
    Posts
    816
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: Rainbow Last Night

    Great rainbow shots, Chuck and not sure what more you can want.

    Nice timing too as I was just reading a section of a book on rainbows and looking at my best 'double', I noticed for the first time that on the outer one, the colour sequence is reversed compared to the inner and 'normal' one.

    The 2nd rainbow is clear enough on your first 2 shots. I also like the raying inside the 1st one and that the (comparatively) limited field of view gets some very good value from the landscape.

    Lastly, no 3 seems to disobey the usual effect that inside the rainbow is lighter than the outside

  8. #8

    Re: Rainbow Last Night

    wow..great capture, rarely I see full rainbows.
    Here is a "not-so-good" rainbow from me
    Rainbow Last Night

    ~Ajith

  9. #9
    CNelson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    USA - California
    Posts
    731
    Real Name
    Chuck Nelson

    Re: Rainbow Last Night

    Quote Originally Posted by crisscross View Post
    Great rainbow shots, Chuck and not sure what more you can want.

    Nice timing too as I was just reading a section of a book on rainbows and looking at my best 'double', I noticed for the first time that on the outer one, the colour sequence is reversed compared to the inner and 'normal' one.

    The 2nd rainbow is clear enough on your first 2 shots. I also like the raying inside the 1st one and that the (comparatively) limited field of view gets some very good value from the landscape.

    Lastly, no 3 seems to disobey the usual effect that inside the rainbow is lighter than the outside
    Good catch Crisscross, I didn't know the colors reversed until you mentioned it and I looked. I do notice that the sky or background is usually lighter inside the rainbow than outside. You don't see it so much on my shots but it shows clearly on Colin and Ajith's rainbows.

    Chuck

  10. #10
    crisscross's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Herefordshire UK
    Posts
    816
    Real Name
    Chris

    Re: Rainbow Last Night

    Quote Originally Posted by CNelson View Post
    I didn't know the colors reversed until you mentioned it and I looked. I do notice that the sky or background is usually lighter inside the rainbow than outside. You don't see it so much on my shots but it shows clearly on Colin and Ajith's rainbows.

    Chuck
    Your group is interesting Chuck, precisely because it does show some less usual features. My usual thought path is using the camera to record things, noting any differences between how camera and eyes 'see them' and learning. If you short-cut to just getting 'wow' images, it is possibly better photography but less learning about nature and other subjects.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •