Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Camera Harness Recommendations

Real Name
    Bob

Camera Harness Recommendations

I was reading the "Camera Strap" thread and some have commented on using a camera harness. I am considering purchase a harness for attaching a single camera. Many times when out taking photos, the strap is uncomfortable or the camersa swings too much.So I am interested in what many of you are using in terms of the brand the fit and the other positive aand negative attributes.

Thank you in advance.

Dr Bob

Real Name
    Trev

Re: Camera Harness Recommendations

I do a lot of bird photography and I use a Black Rapid RS-7 Curve Camera Strap, I prefer an over the shoulder strap to around the neck because I usually also carry binoculars when i'm out, the strap gives me fast easy access to swing the camera in place without whacking the binoculars around my neck. The camera will swing around somewhat but I usually walk with my hand steadying it. I guess it really depends on the type of photography you do as to whether or not it would work for you.

Real Name
    Richard

I prefer the OPTECH Dual Harness to anything out there...

http://optechusa.com/dual-harness.html

It is safe... If one side of the strap comes loose from the camera (either by accident or cut by a thief) the camera doesn't slip off because it is still firmly attached to the harness by the strap on the other side of the camera...

It can carry two cameras/lenses or a camera and binoculars with the weight distributed across your shoulders. It can also carry a single camera and a lens case on the other side...

The camera straps never tangle...

I can adjust the camera to hang at finger tip level. I attach a pair of lightweight carabiner clips to either the side belt loops of my trousers or to the adjustment straps of my photo vest. Clipping the carabiners to the camera straps prevents the cameras from swinging as I move fast...

I have RRS L-brackets attached to each camera and can attach/release my cameras to or from a tripod/monopod with ease. The quick release fittings also let me disconect the camera when on a tripod...

I can carry my cameras with flash attached. I am a confirmed user of fill flash outdoors. Carrying a camera upside down (like with the Black Rapid Strap) can put stress on the hotshoe mount...

The Dual Harness is reasonably priced and it is really lightweight but, strong...

BTW: If you do a Google search for "Dual Harness", Include "OPTECH" in the search parameters. This will eliminate the links to the sex toys that pop up first if you don't specify "OPTECH"....
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 15th March 2012 at 03:47 PM.

Real Name
    Hani

I don't use one yet, but am thinking of getting a Cotton Carrier. Looks good and suits my needs as I go trecking a lot, can use it when I am on my motorcycle or when I am cycling. You can see videos of it being used in Youtube.

I also use the Cotton Carrier system, especially when on a bicycle. I find it excellent.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

As long as I am carrying a single camera, I have come to appreciate the Black Rapid RS-7 as well. The camera is easy to protect, position while carrying, easily accessible, and secure. As my tripod mounting plate attaches with a D-ring I can quickly and easily swap between the RS-7 and the tripod.

If I were to start carrying a second camera, as Richard does, then I would look into the Dual harness rig he uses but for right now, the RS-7 does everything I ask of it with ease.

Real Name
    Richard

Frank, I may be wrong but, I thought that I saw a Black Rapid two-camera rig a while ago...

Real Name
    Bob

Thanks for the comments so far. I am checking out your suggestions.

Has anyone used a binocular harness system? There seems to be a few out there that work for cameras and the comments from customers say they have worked fine.

One reason I am considering a harness system is while in Hawaii last year, the camera got a bit heavy around my neck when out for extended periods of time. Also, we took one of those open door helicopter tours of Kauai and they required all cameras had to be strapped by a harness system to your body. I had to leave my camera behind.

Dr Bob

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    Frank, I may be wrong but, I thought that I saw a Black Rapid two-camera rig a while ago...
    Yes, they have a DR-1 but I don't know if the RS-7 can be upgraded or if I would need a complete new DR-1. If I need a new dual strap I would look closely at the OPTECH that you use before making a final decision.