Thread: Histogram on Canon 7D

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Histogram on Canon 7D

OK, I'm ashamed to admit I've been shooting with the 7D for 9 months already and still haven't figured out how to get the histogram to appear. I've read the manual cover to cover several times, look at Canon video tutorials and still don't get it.

Any 7D shooters out there know the trick?

Real Name
    John

Re: Histogram on Canon 7D

On the 40D and 5D I press the playback button (to show the image I've taken) then continued pressing of the info button will scroll through the various options which includes the histogram. Hope this works for the 7D.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Quote Originally Posted by Poaceae View Post
    On the 40D and 5D I press the playback button (to show the image I've taken) then continued pressing of the info button will scroll through the various options which includes the histogram. Hope this works for the 7D.
    That did it. Thanks a million. I couldn't find it anywhere. A well kept secret.

Real Name
    Glenn

On the 7D if you have it in live mode press the info button and it will bring the histogram so you can make adjustments before you shoot.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

Quote Originally Posted by surfie1 View Post
    On the 7D if you have it in live mode press the info button and it will bring the histogram so you can make adjustments before you shoot.
    I feel like a dunce, but that answers the question of how to adjust before you shoot. I rarely use Live View but I will have to start. Thanks for weighing in.

Quote Originally Posted by surfie1 View Post
    how do i get the histogram off of the screen once i am finished with it?

Real Name
    Graham Serretta

Quote Originally Posted by parkstacey View Post
    how do i get the histogram off of the screen once i am finished with it?
    Press the info button again.

Real Name
    Mike Goodwin

While the Canon manual has solid infomation in it, the 7D needs far more information that what canon can supply in their manual. I got a copy of David Busch's book on the 7D and the Blue Crane DVD video programs and got up to spped in no time and learned more than I thought I would use, especially the Custom buttons and reprograming certain buttons. Just my $0.02¢ worth of help.

Real Name
    Bill Yeung

As I am not a computer guy. I buy books to help in learning no matter on 7D or Photoshop.
    Read those book available on book store and buy it if it suit your need.
    You tube has lots of 7D tutorial available too.
    Lots of stuff in 7D, especially the custom buttom setting, C1,2,3 setting, back focus buttom........
    enjoy.

Real Name
    mark

Quote Originally Posted by koolkat View Post
    While the Canon manual has solid infomation in it, the 7D needs far more information that what canon can supply in their manual. I got a copy of David Busch's book on the 7D and the Blue Crane DVD video programs and got up to spped in no time and learned more than I thought I would use, especially the Custom buttons and reprograming certain buttons. Just my $0.02¢ worth of help.
    I second that. Great book!

Real Name
    Richard

David Busch has at least two books out on the 7D. I find that the David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Canon EOS 7D is the best for my needs because it is aimed strictly at the 7D DSLR and doesn't have a lot of general boilerplate information on dighial photography in general. It is smaller in size and less expensive than the David Busch's Canon EOS 7D Guide to Digital SLR Photography.
    http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-C...s=busch%27s+7D

Real Name
    Giacomo

Quote Originally Posted by rpcrowe View Post
    David Busch has at least two books out on the 7D. I find that the David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Canon EOS 7D is the best for my needs because it is aimed strictly at the 7D DSLR and doesn't have a lot of general boilerplate information on dighial photography in general. It is smaller in size and less expensive than the David Busch's Canon EOS 7D Guide to Digital SLR Photography.
    http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-C...s=busch%27s+7D
    I agree. If I can complain for something about my canon 550D, it's about the user manual. It's unpractical, very often I have to jump from one chapter to another to find a full explanation of certain settings. And, even worst, it describes many functions rather superficially, explainig only "how" but not "why" or "when".
    Much more useful the Busch's book