Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Vintage Post P

Real Name
    JimC

Vintage Post P

Ok trying thease filter effects in post processing. Goal was trying to capture the vintages style. Did I make it?
    Vintage Post P
    C&C please. JimC

Re: Vintage Post P

Jim, I am slowly becoming a fan of the faux vintage/ washed out look. I like where you are going with this photo, but I think it is two dark for what you are trying to do. Preset Effects are bad. I have noticed in my short time editing that each image must be worked individually. I found a decent workflow for getting that vintage look, it uses curves and modifying each color individually. It adds another small step to your current work flow but as you work the curves you can balance the effect better. I test extremes moving the points all over the place just to see the outcome. You can see a youtube vid Here It will give ya the basics. It would also be nice to see the original, to compare.

IMO
    Ryo

Sorry should have read the Exif data first I did not realize you were editing on Ipad software...
    Last edited by Ryogenetic; 15th March 2012 at 12:29 AM. Reason: sry

Real Name
    Paul

Jim as you are playing with this one, if Ipad software will clone...I would get rid of the modern buildings in the background. Trees and grass would work. Being you are going for vintage.

Real Name
    JimC

Ryo
    You hit it on the most of what I was thinking I think this might be one of those times I to artcy . I have been using Ipad to build a little conifidence in terms effects and such. I cant aford photo shop yet so I have corel paint shop and I get lost in the windows and effect. Im a Nobbbb. Thanks for the feedback : )))))

Not to get to far off your OP. I started exactly where you are at now, taking a picture then adding a preset to it. For me I just jumped head long in, and youtube has been my best friend ever since. There are two programs that will give you similar results to Photoshop, and both are free. I started with Paint.net, and still use it from time to time. Now that I have built a knowledge base on both PS and Paint.net. P.net is comparable but PS has a user freindly interface. The second program is GIMP, I have yet to load it up and give it a whirl, but from other forums that I am on people have had a lot of success with it. I am a huge proponent of the thought that photography does not end when you focus, recompose and shoot. There are people out there that can do that, but for hacks like me, I have added a workflow to Post processing, to aid my lack of picture taking skill.

Ryo

Real Name
    Paul

I am one of those here that use Gimp. For being share ware it is quite powerful. There are also new pluggins that pop up often. While I am told the learning curve is a little steeper than PS, I wouldn't know because I have never used PS. There are many online tutorials and even a couple books out which help with that curve.

Real Name
    JimC

Thanks Paul and Ryo I will be looking into both formats. Paul I noticed you haven't been to the dock lately. Hold on tight to the fine lens. lOl. JimC

Real Name
    Paul

Been busy with work is all. I will be by there again soon Jim. I have a pretty good grip though.