Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tamron Lenses and Canon Cameras

Real Name
    DK

Tamron Lenses and Canon Cameras

I am currently using a canon EOS Rebel T3i with a Tamron AF 200-500mm f/5.0-6.3 Di lens. I want to upgrade my camera body to a canon 7D. Will my tamron lens work well with the canon 7d? Or is it better to upgrade my lens instead?

RosesHawk

Real Name
    Bill S

Re: Tamron lenses and canon cameras

That Tamron lens should (barring any unexpectedness) work with the 7D. The 7D is able to take all EF and EF-S mount lenses.

Whether it is better to upgrade the lens is a different question.

What is driving you to want to upgrade the camera? What shortcoming are you looking to fix?

- Bill

Real Name
    DK

Thanks for you response, Bill.

For my wildlife photography, I would like to up my fps! And I like the idea of a 100% or near it From the viewfinder. The higher amount of focus points is another reason I want to upgrade. But, money plays a big part in whether I should go for a camera upgrade or a lens upgrade. Since I can only afford one purchase, which would be the better route to take. A better lens, or a better camera?

Real Name
    Terry

Here is someone you might talk to about that question, RosesHawk. (Scroll down to the bottom of the page. It is the last response on the page.)

Real Name
    John

Personally, I would go for better glass. Canon's 100-400 is about the same price as the 7D and is a superb lens. Coupled with a 1.4 extender it gives you nice range for wildlife photography.

Real Name
    Paul

Being I don't shoot Canon and have little knowledge of your 200-500mm take this for what it is worth. You have mentioned a couple reasons for upgrade and neither have to do with IQ or speed lens wise. So if it were me and IQ and light not being the deciding factors I would certainly upgrade the camera. This would adress your stated needs. I myself shoot Sony and about 4 months ago upgraded to the A77. This adressed all the issues you mention and a few more. However while the upgrade seemed to even improve the capabilities of my kit lenses somehow....I quickly realised how poor my glass was. With the camera... I had aquired the new Sony 16-50mm 2.8 and found myself quite pleased. Then I was just not happy any longer with the IQ of my 75-300mm and recently upgraded to the Sony 70-400G which I cannot praise enough.

I guess the moral of my little story is, go into a shop, try a few shots with your camera and a lens upgrade...I did and was able to step outside and test it out, take the images home to check the IQ against the same shots from my then current lense. If the difference does it for you....great. If you are truely after the FPS, focus points and larger view finder then the lens won't be what you want.

Having said that, if I had to give up either my two new lenses or go back to useing my A100......I would keep the lenses.....and eat bread and ketchup until I could get another A77.

Real Name
    Richard

I often get shocked recently as I look up prices of Canon gear. They have increased drastically, at least here in the USA. This could be due to the sad performance of the U.S. Dollar. The approximately $1,590 (U.S. Dollars) price of the 100-400L is considerably higher than it was when I priced this lens about four or five years ago. However, IMO, it is still one of the top, general purpose lenses for wildlife in the Canon inventory.

However, the reviews of your Tamron lens on Amazon are all in the 4-5 star range. So the 7D might just be a better way to go!

I absolutely LOVE my 7D and think that the control features such as the dual control dials are superior to Rebel based DSLR cameras. The focusing is fantastic and the three user selected modes are a joy with which to work.

If at all possible, if you could keep your T3i as well as the 7D, you could use a two camera setup. I shoot with a 7D and a 40d and love having two cameras to give me instant access to lenses with two different focal ranges. It is also an insurance policy against missing out on a photo opportunity due to camera failure (even new cameras, which are well cared for, can go down at times).

Real Name
    DK

Thank you for your response. I love the idea of a two camera set up. I actually have two T3is, one has my tamron 18-270mm lens on it, and the other has the 200-500mm tamron. Having said that. I am probably going to trade in one T3i and get the 7D and still have a two camera set up. I appreciate everyone's responses and comments.

DK

Real Name
    Richard

DK...

Instead of trading in the T3i, I suggest that you sell the camera on a used equipment forum. Even on eBay, you should be able to get more for it than you would by trading it in.

I hope you like your 7D as much as I do!

Real Name
    DK

Thank you Richard, I will definitely consider your advice.

DK

Real Name
    DK

I wanted to let you know, I took some advice from here. Did my homework, and put one of my T3i's up for sale. I have a couple of people interested in it already. I am getting excited, if it sales, that means I much closer to buying the Canon 7D that I want.

DK

Real Name
    Richard

DK,

Some folks cry "sour grapes" when discussing the 7D and claim that its varied focusing combinations are very difficult to learn.

Sure, there is a lot to learn but, I received my 7D in the morning and made a quick test to ensure that it would actual record a picture on my CF card and then went to a photo shoot! Not the most careful thing to do but, I had my 40D along as insurance. I shot using a 550EX flash bounced with a Stroboframe Camera Flip bracket and with the light modified by a Joe Demb Flash Diffuser Pro and the results using default focus were excellent. Sure, it wasn't as difficult as following birds in flight or athletes in field sports, but never the less, focus was spot-on with my 70-200mm f/4L IS lens...

Tamron Lenses and Canon Cameras

I have looked at a lot of accessory books to use along with or instead of my 7D manual. The problem is that most of them try to include a mini-photo course along with the specifics on the 7D. I don't need instructions in shutter speed, f/stops or the rule of thirds. I wanted information specific to the 7D. I found that information in "David Busch's Compact Field Guide for the Canon EOS 7D".

http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-C...2278902&sr=1-1

I seriously think that I could throw away my Canon 7D Manual because all the information I want (and no unnecessary information) is contained in Busch's little, relatively inexpensive, book. Some of the info is even better than that which is contained in the Canon user's manual...

BTW: IMO, this book beats the pants off Charlotte Lowrie's "Canon EOS 7D Digital Field Guide" because it doesn't contain any extraneous information and actually, because it is focused on the 7D, contains more information about that camera. Charlotte seems to have a boiler plate camera manual into which she interjects portions on the specific camera at which her books are directed...

Real Name
    DK

Hey Richard, thanks for the info. When I get the 7D, I will definitely take a hard look at that book.

DK

P.S. Great photo!!!

Real Name
    Bill S

I am a fan of the Magic Lantern series of books... here's the one for the 7D:

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Lantern-.../dp/1600596649

- Bill

Real Name
    DK

Just to update everyone. I sold the T3i body. Now when I get income tax back, I can afford to buy the 7D that I want. Hope everyone's week is going well so far.

DK

Real Name
    Mike Goodwin

I also carry the Tamron 18x270 lens & have just purchased the 400mm "L" lens for a great price from B&H. There is a solid differance between the two lens & almost twice the price. My 7D performs just great with the new lens and you will also enjoy the 7D. I also got one of David Busch's books, "Canon EOS 7D" this might be a good additiont to the factory manual. Hope you get your 7D soon and share with all of us your thoughts on your new purchase.

Real Name
    DK

Thanks Mike, for all the info. I am really looking forward to getting the 7D. It shouldn't be too much longer, now that my taxes are complete and sent in. I will definitely share with you my thought on how the 7D works once I have it and have a shoot or two under my belt.

Hope everyone has a great week.

DK

Real Name
    DK

Just to update all: I have ordered the Canon EOS 7D. It should arrive by the end of the week. I am already planning a trip to the near by Refuge to try it out. There is a nesting pair of Osprey there. I am excited to see them and hopefully get some pics of them building the nest.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by RosesHawk View Post
    Just to update all: I have ordered the Canon EOS 7D. It should arrive by the end of the week. I am already planning a trip to the near by Refuge to try it out. There is a nesting pair of Osprey there. I am excited to see them and hopefully get some pics of them building the nest.
    Congratulations. I'm sure you'll find that the 7D opens up a lot of opportunities not available previously. Have fun ... and let us know how you are getting on with it.

Real Name
    Manfred Mueller

One word of caution on shooting with your long lens; these beasts are notoriously difficult to hand hold. The angle of view is extremely narrow, so trying to compose and get a steady shot hand held is difficult, even with lots of practice.

There are tricks, of course, to improve the situation like resting on something. If you haven't got a tripod, you will find yourself investing in one soon. Use the tripod collar on the lens, not your camera body to get better balance, and above all, enjoy!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast