Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: Autumn Landscape

Real Name
    Jeff

Autumn Landscape

This barn is just down the road from my house, on one of my dog walking routes. Shot last autumn. D700 24-120 @f11. Comments welcome.

Autumn Landscape

Real Name
    Darren

Re: Autumn Landscape

Hi Jeff,

I like the color and contrast in the sky. It seems to me that the image could benefit from some separation between the tall grasses (corn?) and the barn. Right now, they are merged together as one. I like to think of balance as well... not sure if the lone tree on the left is strong enough to balance out the corn and barn. Thanks for sharing!

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi Jeff, I thought the same thing as Darren even before I saw his comments. Take a gander at what it might look like as a 2:1 image with less sky. You might find that it increases the imapct of the scene.

I agree with Darren and Frank's comments. Frank's idea of cropping out half of the sky, making it more of a pano is a good one. The exposure is good. The barn is interesting and I long to see more of it. My guess is that you wanted to keep in that great view of the mountains, which put a restraint on how you could compose with the corn and barn.

hi Jeff,
    this is a superb picture!
    I agree with the other guys, and I 'd add a note: in my humble opinion the cows on the left are a bit distracting, perhaps they could be the subject of an other picture...
    thanks for sharing!
    Nicola

As an alternative. Crop the right side so half of the maize (if that is correct) is reduced plus a similar amount from the sky.

I think that would give more prominence to the barn and bring everything together.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff F View Post
    As an alternative. Crop the right side so half of the maize (if that is correct) is reduced plus a similar amount from the sky.

I think that would give more prominence to the barn and bring everything together.
    it seems a good idea to me

Real Name
    Kathy

I think it is a beautiful photo, but I would love to see the photo with the edits that Geoff suggested!

Kathy

Real Name
    Jeff

Thanks to all for the suggestions, very helpful. I had tried cropping the image to more of a pano style but I didn't like it. I had not however though of cropping the maize, which is a good idea, I've attached a cropped version, which I hope reflects the comments.

The image is composed as it is largely to hide an electricity pylon behind the tree on the left, and to get a leading line viz: maize, barn, tree, mountain. Thanks again to all.

J

Autumn Landscape

Yes, Jeff, that is exactly how I saw the scene.