Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: RWBB and GG

Real Name
    Bobo

RWBB and GG

Light was fading fast so risked some blur with a slower shutter speed then I would normally use. The other for not using a fast shutter speed was that it was just giving me a detail-less blob of black on the LCD.

General question for the experts : How does one get black detail against a bright background without it becoming one big black blob?

Red-winged Blackbird
    RWBB and GG

RWBB and GG

Golden Geese (Canada Geese actually )
    RWBB and GG

Real Name
    Paul

Re: RWBB and GG

Nice Bobo, I like the DOF on the RWBBs and the pose of #1 best. Well done. It is a difficult feat at the very best, but looks as if you handled it well. I try to make sure I have some light on them and then just do the best I can. I have had them so bad that you could not see the color on their backs. Sometimes bumping the ISO just isn't enough is it.
    Last edited by jeeperman; 14th March 2012 at 07:22 PM.

Real Name
    Bobo

Birds have to some of the most challenging things to get right. So much depends on luck...

I have had reasonable luck with RWBBs last summer but each time is a new challenge hehe.

This time I did something which I have never done before. Focused on the tip of the stalk and then switched to MF to keep the focus there. So as long as he stood there focus would be good. The only concern was getting the black and textures.

How do you go about shooting a black/very dark object in generally bright conditions?

Real Name
    Ken Outch

Great work Bobo. I like#2 best. But they are all like the line from the Chrissie carol about the feast of St Stephen...." Bright and crisp and even.... And I reckon the DOF is 'pretty cool.' (Okay so I picked this phrase up from the youngens. But they probably don't use it any more. I did hear that their latest term of praise is to refer to things as being sick...How anything deemed 'sick' could possibly be considered 'great' eludes me. Friends and rellies often tell me my sense of humour is sick. I somehow doubt that they are being laudatory!)

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Ken.

May be mistaken here but "sick" is also out. No idea what the new word is. Will ask a young kid tomorrow.