Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: The Tree II

Real Name
    Bobo

The Tree II

Went back to that weird tree the other day for a re-shoot and got tons of pics (mostly bad!).

Here are some that I am reasonably pleased with. The isolation seems better then the previous versions.

On further thought, there are other things that could have been done but...

Comments good or bad always appreciated.

Thanks for looking.

Take 2.

The Tree II

The Tree II

The Tree II

The Tree II

The Tree II

The Tree II
    Last edited by Bobobird; 14th March 2012 at 07:15 AM.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: The Tree II

Yep, now you've got it much more isolated and the impact is, I think, significant. I feel the more 'head-on' shots are the most powerful, which is why I find myself giving more attention to 1, 2, 5 & 6. The B & W really shows up how much light and shade, shape and texture there is to play with in this particular subject.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Donald. Appreciate the feedback.

Strange one about the b&w, give it every preset in Silver Efex and each preview seemed good to me. Never had that before.

Three things I forgot to do - verticals for the panos, climbing the tree and taking some shots from above, going low and shooting up. There has to be some way to get to the tree side...

Maybe will give it another go in summer though the mossies and vegetation will be quite a challenge.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Three things I forgot to do - verticals for the panos, climbing the tree and taking some shots from above, going low and shooting up. There has to be some way to get to the tree side...
    One approach I tried (when conditions permitted), was to tote along an 8' stepladder, yup! I used a Joby Gorilla Pod for the tripod mount at the top of the ladder and shot more across (to get over obstacles) than down but either would work provided you plan ahead, have a way to transport the ladder (I have a van), and make sure the surface will support it. In the end, my pictures sucked like a straw but the approach to getting the shot worked well.

Real Name
    Allan Short

I was wondering about how it would look in the summer. The background now is very busy, however in summer in full growth, it will be green and dark, and the roots should be more of a grey colour. So would they not more or less stick out like a sore thumb against a darker background? If the light is in the right direction it should light up those roots giving a nice contrast.

Cheers

Allan

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Frank - hard to carry to ladder around hehe but great idea. I have a tripod that goes much higher then my height with the center column fully extended. That might work?

Thanks Allan - what I am concerned about is the extreme vegetation that will make it difficult to get to the current shooting side. Going behind or around should be ok since it is mainly weeds etc.

Now that I have had a good look around this tree could do with another reshoot. I am happy with Take 2 but not 100% as there are things that could be done which were not mainly because of maybe looking for good positions and avoiding getting poked in the eye.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

This may be a really tough subject to compose well. You may want to look around this area to see if there is another similar subject that could more easily satisfy the shutter finger itch.

Real Name
    Myra

The black and white panoramic type shot (last one) just leaped off the screen for me.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Myra. That is one of the shots that need a reshoot. About 1/3 is missing off the top.

Frank - yes really tough with nothing supporting it within the general area or even remotely giving it some context.

What a great interest subject. Well captured Bobo.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Dave.

I wonder what the experts/masters could have done with this...

Quote Originally Posted by Bobobird View Post
    Thanks Dave.

I wonder what the experts/masters could have done with this...
    They would have captured it with a $2000 lens

Real Name
    Bobo

Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    They would have captured it with a $2000 lens
    Good one.

Real Name
    Clive

Hi Bobo, you've really challenged yourself here. To me it's a busy scene so the head-on images are better #1&2. Is there a chance to shoot in low early morning light? but judging by the existing shadows this might not help because of the amount of woodland. Or try shooting from really low down!!. I'm with Frank and I'd find a subject a bit more isolated.

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Clive.

I could try to talk the land owner into clearing the undergrowth around the tree. Failing that I could get a machete and do it myself.

Early morning is a thought but it is facing east and the bleached wood may be an exposure nightmare (for me anyway). Mid day could also be an option light-wise as it will come from above. So if the shots are taken from above (climb up) or low down (need to check how deep the stream is at that point) there maybe something to work with. The owner may have a step ladder too so that would be useful as well.

I just feel that this one is both unusual and majestic in a way and a bit more attention may yield a decent one similar to the types you have been shooting hehe.

I don't know if it would work but I would try to use some off camera flash to darken the background and acsent the tree.

Real Name
    Bobo

Now Eric THAT is something really worth trying. I have 2 flashes and remote triggers. Hmmmm, more great ideas. Excellente!!!!!

Looks like a new shoot is coming up.

Real Name
    JimC

BoBo
    I really like the feel of one. To my eye it had more depth, more real, at some views I almost didnt feel like a picture. Twigs and roots are hard to capture for me but I'm always drawn to their Geometry. JimC

Real Name
    Bobo

Thanks Jim.