Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: HP Paper with my new Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mk II printer

Real Name
    Richard

HP Paper with my new Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mk II printer

Has anyone used HP Everyday Paper with a Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mk ii printer?

I will receive the new Pixma 9000 mk ii printer soon and plan to use primarily Canon papers, at least from the start.

However, I have about a thousand sheets of 4x6" general purpose HP glossy paper which I would like to make use of. I use the 4x6" paper to print images of the adoptive families with their adopted rescue dogs before they leave our house with their dogs. I also give a nice 4x6" portrait of the dog to each family. I am sure that these will be the best and possible the only portrait that the family will have of their new dogs. I also have a lot of other general purpose uses for 4x6" prints.

How do I find out what ICC Profile to use with the HP paper. I am not absolutely sure what specific type of paper this is because it was given as a package when I bought ink for my HP Photosmart 7960 printer. Since that printer drank ink, I accumulated a lot of paper and would like to use it. I assume that the paper was the HP "everyday" paper.

The prints don't have to be spot-on as far as quality goes but, I would certainly like reasonable quality, I don't know where to start in matching the paper to the new printer.

I used my now-defunct Photosmart printer for both document and photo printing. I plan to restrict the Pixma to photo printing and I bought an amazingly inexpensive ($109 with free shipping from B&H Photo in NYC) Brother HL-2270DW monochrome laser printer for my document work!
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 13th March 2012 at 04:27 PM.

Real Name
    Dan

Re: HP Paper with my new Canon Pixma Pro 9000 Mk II printer

If you can guess which paper it is, you could hunt on HP's site for ICCs, but they might not offer them for competitors' printers. As an alternative, there are lots of companies that will create a custom ICC for you. I think they send you an image, and you send them back the print. I have never used any of these companies, so I can't vouch for any. The only one I remember is http://cathysprofiles.com/, but you can probably find more by googling.

Real Name
    Allan Short

It depends, Hp paper I find prints on the blue side compared to Canon that prints on the warm side. Do you want a pro shot or are you happy to give a nice 4 x 6 print. So just print a couple and see what you get, if you want better than just down load the HP ICC and install it. The people will be happy with the print as long as it is a nice one, what is important to them is the dog not the print that is something extra that you do.

Allan

Real Name
    Jim

Hi Richard,

I have this printer and also have some HP glossy 4X6.Just tried a print and it turned out pretty good.
    I let PS manage the colours and set the printer profile to Canon IJ.

Real Name
    Steve

I found HP difficult: I couldn't find a icc profile but used the canon pro II profile but adjusted it using the printers own tools. It is a fine paper and the stuff I got had amazing resolution; much sharper than a computer HD 720p display. Don't know about the new one though.

Good luck

I've used http://www.inkjetart.com/custom_profiles/ with good luck. You download 2 or 3 targets and print them on the intended paper with all color control turned off. The prints are mailed to them in Salt Lake City, UT. Their turn around has been fast for me, and they mail the custom icc to you with instructions for installing it. The cost is $25.

There are a number of other places who provide the service. At the time I first used this one I was very wet behind the ears and their procedure was clear.

Real Name
    Phillip Winter

Hello, I'm using a Pro 9000 MK I, so your printer may or may not be similar. I've used PR1 with Hammermill Premium Photo Paper. That might be a good starting point for your HP paper. Canon has the most arcane names for their printer profiles, but you can search "Canon printer profiles" and usually find them. When I find one, I write it on the paper container because I can never remember it. Also, I recommend Canon's Pro Platinum paper (black box), which uses the PT1 profile. I find this paper more vibrant than Canon's other papers that come in a red container. Oh, I recommend turning off the printer drivers and letting your photo application control the printing. Good Luck.

Real Name
    Russell

Hi, Just my 2 cents worth, if you cannot find a profile and you have lightroom it would maybe worth going for the NO COLOUR MANAGMENT in the printer setup and then make some test prints with your own input, as soon as you get one that looks as you want save the settings as a print profile for that paper.
    Russ

Real Name
    Richard

Thanks everyone for your help. I also have several paper sample collections from Red River, Ilford, Legion and Brlliant that I have acquired at little or no cost and which I will play with. They include ICC profiles.

I do wish that Canon would offer sample packets so I could find the papers with the right balance between cost and quality in my new printer. Canon offers several grades of paper ranging from the most expensive Pro Platinum to the least expensive type that is listed just as Photo Paper. There are several intermediate grades as well as several surfaces from which to choose.

If my HP Photosmart 7960 is any indicator, the most expensive papers do not always provide the optimum results. Instead, there seemed to be a serendipitous relationship between some specific printers and some specific papers. I wonder if this is also true for the Canon Pro 9000 Mk-ii.

I eventually want to standardize on sevaral types of papers:
    1. The cheapest that will give me reasonable quality for miscellaneous use both 4x6" and 8.5x11"
    2. High quality gloss in 8.5x11" size
    3. High quality paper for presentation printing in both 8.5x11" and a larger size...
    4. Matte greeting card size paper which is scored for folding - I like doing my own greeting cards. However, for cards like Christmas cards, of which I will need upwards or 25; I usually send these out to Vista Press for printing.

When I need prints done on stretched canvas, I usually take them to a small local digital printing shop. The prices are a bit steep but, the quality is fantastic. I am going to submit an image to both the local shop and to COSTCO and make a comparison of quality. COSTCO is about 60% the cost of the printing shop. This is especially true during one of their frequent sales.

Real Name
    Richard

I have the printer and made my first print, 8.5x11" on Canon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II and the first print came out very nice.

Although for my first print, I let the Canon Software control the printing, I will soon experiment with having Lightroom 3 do all the printer control.

One thing that I did notice, the printer is quiet, much quieter than the HP Photosmart 7960 I was using. It is also quite a bit faster than the HP printer.

Since, this printer has been around for a while, the software is set up for Windows Vista. I am running Windows 7. According to the instructions, I am to uninstall the software which was bundled with the printer and install a new set of Windows 7 Drivers which are available on the Canon website...

Real Name
    Dan

Richard,

If you want to print cards, check out Red River online. They have a large variety of card stocks in different sizes, and they sell a sampler. I bought a sampler of 5x7 cards (folded size) for $12 or $13, if I remember. So far, I have printed on three of their matte card stocks with my 9000II, and the results were stunning (particularly how unskilled I am at this). Their prices for cards and envelopes are very low. They also have gift boxes if you want to give boxes of cards as a gift. And a nice bonus--they have downloadable Lightroom printing templates for them. I had to fiddle a tiny bit to get it as I wanted it, but it took me only minutes and two tries to get it right. It would have taken a lot longer otherwise. I don't recall if they have templates for other software.

The only drawback is that card stock is heavy, which means feeding the cards individually through the front. So, it would be slow for large quantities.

Dan