Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0

Thread: HDR panoramic restaurant

HDR panoramic restaurant

Restaurant on waterfront that is shaped like a boat (at least I think that's what it's supposed to be). It's a pano made from 3 images wide, each image made from 2 captures (1/125 and 1/40) all at f3.2. Managed to fit whole range in 2 captures so didn't need 3rd. Exposed the 1/125 to as far right as possible without clipping so that encompassed a lot of midtones too.

I didn't fix the horrendous CA (magenta) as was a bit of a quick n dirty edit to see if it would look like I intended (it pretty much does, it was sunset btw and into the sun hence the sky colours) but might fix in future so apologies for my laziness.

HDR panoramic restaurant

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: HDR panoramic restaurant

Hi Davey,

As a matter of interest, how do you normally fix your Fuji's CA?

I tend to cheat and just use the sponge tool to wipe away the chroma with PS Element when it appears on non-coloured backgrounds (where most noticeable of course)
    (I know there are better ways if you have CS4, which come to think of it, I believe you do)

Is that a steel iceberg the ship is about to impact?

Joking aside, sadly I'm not sure it does work really, a bit too much clutter around the building, and the lights don't help, not that there's anything you can do about all that

A decent HDR pano though, well done; it looks natural and I can't see the joins.

Cheers,

I usually have little prob since often shoot in conditions where don't get much noticable fringing. I think acr does a fair job on it, the other way I usually do if needed which is the laziest is because it tends to be a single shade (usually magenta ca is the prob on the s5600) is just select it and desaturate like you say. Only done that once or twice as like I say not a prob I usually have as often avoid situations where I get that. HDR merges is the worst culprit for making it more severe I notice.

Yeah I wasn't happy with what was around it. Tried cropping out as much as I could but lights, trees, fences impossible to avoid unfortunately. I liked the building against the skeleton of the new one being built which is why I took it. Why do they have to put fences along a sharp drop into a deep river, that's silly since IMO anyone stupid enough to fall in is a win for nature, fences interfer with natural selection Just kidding of course. Your are right about nothing I can do to avoid the distractions........... but if I could just get my hands on some dynamite

Davey,

This is a very interesting picture. I have just come to know HRD and did some test in Photoshop recently. Although I always want to "do it right in camera" using GND filters,
    I know in some situation, it is quite challenging to do the right job just using GND, like this
    restaurant case, as there is no clear line between the building and sky.

Just one minor comment, I felt the foreground is a bit too bright, which makes this picture
    a little bit unrealistic. Maybe keep a bit under exposure for the foreground is better.

Regards,

Yan

Thanks Yan I never noticed that until you pointed it out, I'd agree it is a bit on the bright side and I should have moved the black clip point up when processing. I think the white point could have come down a touch too making the sky a bit less bright too. Will keep in mind for future captures in particular.