Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Camera Straps

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Camera Straps

I have just been taking some still life in the house. Picked up my camera (7D & 105 macro lens) and ops the camera strap detached from the camera body loop.

I was lucky the camera dropped on sofa NOT the floor !!!

Checked the other strap end same thing was about to happen...

Have now tightened/rethreaded both ends with plenty of spare strap at the end.

Yet a further check to make before using...

Yes I was lucky a lesson learnt. If it had dropped two days earlier it would have been on a hard stone church floor....

Regards

David

Real Name
    Trevor Reeves

Re: Camera Straps

Glad to hear catastrophy was averted. Would have been tragic

I did away with a neck strap entirely about two years ago. I use a hand strap now(I am at work and the brand name escapes me). I still have to check the tightness frequently but if the fit is loose then I can catch it miles before there is any danger of dropping the gear.

I mainly chucked out the neck strap because I use a modular hip belt with holsters (ThinkTank) and the strap was a complete nuisance and irritant as well as absolutely redundant.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi David, I've done away with the neck strap on all but my old Sony Cybershot. There was too much risk of the camera swinging out and hitting something solid as I climbed over rocks to get into a shooting position. I now use a BlackRapid RS-7 strap linked to the D-ring of my tripod clamp plate. I can now switch quickly and easily between hand-held and tripod mount and the camera remains secure, easily protected, and readily avaialable. I can also easily swap the BlackRapid over to my Canon SX40 on which I keep a D-ring mounted as well.

Real Name
    Joe

I use one of these straps, the strap made from Kevlar. The Kevlar prevents wear and fraying.

http://www.upstrap-pro.com/

Real Name
    Richard

I use an OPTECH Dual Harness to carry my two cameras or I can actually carry a single camera by just detaching camera number two from the harness.

There are several things that I like about the dual harness but, since this thread is regarding the dropping of a camera due to a failed strap; I will approach that scenario first.

The cameras are attached to the harness at two points which are independent of one another. If the attachment at one point should fail (or if it is cut by a slash and run thief) this doesn't impact the integrity of the strap. The camera still remains attached to the harness by the point that has not failed.

With many, if not most, camera carrying straps, if the strap is broken, cut or somehow disconnected in one place, the entire strap, plus the camera, falls.

http://optechusa.com/dual-harness.html

The second thing that I like about the Dual Harness is that I can carry two cameras with flashes and have each camera handy at my finger tips. I have a 17-55mm f/2.8 lens on the camera at one side and a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens on the second camera carried at the other side. The cameras straps never get tangled. I keep lightweight carabiner clips attached either to the side adjustment straps of my photo vest or to the side belt loops of my trousers if I am not wearing a vest. Clipping the carabiner to the camera strap prevents the camera/lens from swinging pendulum style when I am running, walking fast or climbing stairs or over some rough terrain.

The Dual Harness is lightweight and relatively inexpensive. I can carry my two cameras/lenses all day long without my back hurting (and I have had back surgery) since the weight of my gear is supported by my shoulders rather than around my neck.

I use RRS L brackets on both cameras which allow me to place either camera on my tripod or monopod in either vertical or horizontal position without the harness interfering. The RRS L bracket for the 7D is equipped with an extra set of attachment points. I can carry the camera on the harness and still have a hand strap attached to the camera. I like shooting my 70-200mm lens with a hand strap because it provides greater stability.

I can easily disconnect the camera from the harness with the quick disconnects. This is very handy when the camera/lens is tripod mounted because I won't make a mistake and back away with the camera still connected to the harness. I am prone to do forgetful things like that during one of my senior moments...
    Last edited by rpcrowe; 12th March 2012 at 09:53 PM.

Real Name
    Andrew

My neck strap and wrist strap cannot release from the camera and the nylon connectors are of a type that I am not able to pull apart. The webbing may possibly come loose further up the strap but there are double buckles on which three or four small stitches with a non-deteriorating thread made those points equally as permanent. With a sling bag and wrist strap that I really like and use I can't remember the last time I had the camera strap around my neck.

Real Name
    Scott

Shoulder straps are more comfortable and practical than neck straps. Everyone reflexively points to Black Rapid, but that is changing as more people enter the field. Here's the one I am thinking of getting. The "Cinch". http://luma-labs.com/products/cinch
    It attaches to two points (one strap post and one tripod screwhole) so it lays flat against you instead of twirling around on just one connection point. It also has the "cinch" feature which gives it its name. You can quickly shorten/tighten it up on you for security while walking around, then quickly lengthen it for shooting.

Real Name
    Bud Ralston

I use a small S-biner carabiner at each end of my strap adjacent to the plastic "quick release" snaps. That way if one of those decides to quick release on it's own, nothing happens to my rig. The S-biners disconnect easily if I'm removing the strap.

Real Name
    Scott

Well...I bought the "Cinch". Hope it lives up to its press.

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

I'm sure it's really great - but good grief, 70$ for a strap?! I'm sorry, but I must have missed something there...

Real Name
    Scott

Yeah, I know. It's a lot, but I just can't carry a long lens on the short little Canon neck strap that came with the camera. It is like being slowly beaten to death by my own camera.
    I wanted to go to a shoulder strap of some kind. The cheapest I ever saw was $35.00, and most like Black Rapid were about the same as this Cinch, (or more.)
    Why is it nothing is cheap in this hobby?

Real Name
    Alexander Rose

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Stephen View Post
    Why is it nothing is cheap in this hobby?
    Stop whining, you're saving a fortune on film these days!

You're totally right by the way.
    Everything you buy that can be somehow linked to photography automatically gets a premium price tag attached.

Real Name
    Ian (the other one)

...It is like being slowly beaten to death by my own camera...
    Isn't that what it's all about? I mean we're supposed to suffer aren't we?

But of course, you're right - when I think I recently spent 3000€ on a camera body and I'm complaining about a strap at 70$...

Next time it's going to be an Instamatic but with a FABULOUS strap!!

On a (slightly) more serious side, I do think some third party manufacturers are really taking the p*** - I can fully understand that 'inventing' something new has a certain cost, but let's be honest, in this case we're talking about pretty minimal overheads in terms of custom made parts. Sadly I feel that this is going the same way as they guy who purchased IKEA vases at 2€ and sold them himself at 150€ - seeing the two together there was (obviously) no difference, but purchasers imagined the price indicated quality and happily paid 150€. (I'm just jealous!)

Real Name
    Mario

Quote Originally Posted by thatguyfromvienna View Post
    Stop whining, you're saving a fortune on film these days!

You're totally right by the way.
    Everything you buy that can be somehow linked to photography automatically gets a premium price tag attached.
    Indeed. For instance, a brand shutter release cable/button (Little more than a two step push button, a cable and a plug) costs more than 10 USD. They should be included with every camera body at no additional cost. I'd rather make one myself.

Real Name
    Mike

Interesting. I have the older Luma Loop, which is like the BR strap. The thing that kinda drives me nuts with the sling straps is the camera bouncing around a bit more than I like. The Cinch seems to address this in a way. However, it looks like the way they connect the strap to the camera is the traditional way, which Im assuming is the same way the OP has his camera attached to his strap???

I just picked up a new carrying system from Peak Designs called Camera Capture Clip that feels more secure. I really like it so far and takes away the annoying bouncing around. Its similar to the Cotton Carrier without the big padded clip in part. I have retrofitted a 1/2" dog leash to act as a tether strap for the time being for added security. Less webbing in the way and it fits much better in conjunction with my think tank holster. (Peak Designs is currently prototyping a camera/tether to work with their new product so well see.)

Guess it depends on each photographer and how they like carrying their camera and what activity they do while photographing.

Real Name
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Harpo View Post
    Interesting. I have the older Luma Loop, which is like the BR strap. The thing that kinda drives me nuts with the sling straps is the camera bouncing around a bit more than I like. The Cinch seems to address this in a way. However, it looks like the way they connect the strap to the camera is the traditional way, which Im assuming is the same way the OP has his camera attached to his strap???

The Cinch (which I am still waiting for in the mail) kind of combines the two, actually. It connects to one strap post plus one tripod screwhole. If your lens has a tripod foot, presumably you could leave one tripod hole free for the tripod, or you could also attach it to most of the detachable tripod plate-thingys.

The site says they are made as orders come in, so it takes 2-3 weeks to ship. Made in the USA, though! That'll skyrocket the "domestically produced content" of my camera up to like 4%, by value. I am also sporting American floormats in my Korean car. BUY AMERICAN!

Real Name
    Jacques

Did you try Cotton Carrier ? I use it everyday. I use bothe: the harness and the hub for a packsack.
    I can not use anything around my neck because a physical problem.

Real Name
    Scott

The Cinch (which I am still waiting for in the mail) kind of combines the two, actually. It connects to one strap post plus one tripod screwhole. If your lens has a tripod foot, presumably you could leave one tripod hole free for the tripod, or you could also attach it to most of the detachable tripod plate-thingys.

The site says they are made as orders come in, so it takes 2-3 weeks to ship. Made in the USA, though! That'll skyrocket the "domestically produced content" of my camera up to like 4%, by value. I am also sporting American floormats in my Korean car. BUY AMERICAN!
    The "Cinch" from Lens Loop arrived today. Must say, it works, and pretty much exactly as they advertized on their website. After rubbing the skin off the back of my neck over the weekend with my old OEM neckstrap and my heavy lens, this thing was a welcome sight in the mail today!

Real Name
    David Victor Woods

Changed my strap to a Black Rapid RS4 which I attach to the my tripod plate D ring on base of camera.

Now have a new problem in that the screw on the Carabinea buckle keeps on coming loose so I have now had to purchase a Lockstar from WEX which arrived today ... now fitted.

I have yet to try it all on my new D5 MKIII. Should I now use a wrist strap as well ??? Looking at quite a bit of kit hanging on this .

Any good wrist straps which use the camera body points for attachment

Thanks

Real Name
    Jeremy Rundle

I wouldn't leave home without camera insurance

Also all my straps are secured back on themselves with thin duck tape

DON'T use a strap attached to a tripod socket under the camera.

1. cameras have attachment points for a reason
    2. I and many on the circuit who shoot all the time have seen straps become lose and cameras fall
    3. show me a pro with a strap attached to the tripod bush !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast