Helpful Posts Helpful Posts:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nikon D5000 or Canon EOS 1000D or Canon EOS 50D

Nikon D5000 or Canon EOS 1000D or Canon EOS 50D

Hi All,

I am new in this forum. I am interested in photography and would like to buy one DSLR.
    Budget is around 1000$. I would like to use it for all kinds of purpose, like landscape, portrait, macro etc.

I am reading all kind of review websites and confused to select one. Currently I am using a Canon Powershot S5.

Can you guys help me to chose a DSLR? Nikon D5000, Canon EOS 1000D, Canon EOS 50D
    these are the few I found good after reading the reviews.

Regards
    Subin
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 15th June 2009 at 06:07 PM.

Real Name
    Dave Humphries :)

Re: Nikon D5000 or Canon EOS 1000D or Canon EOS 50D

Hi Subin,

I've just bought a Nikon D5000, so if you have any specific questions on that, I'll do my best to answer them. Although I have to say I haven't got the hang of it all yet - way more facilities than I am used to, I am going to "grow into it" as they say.

Of the three models you quote, the Canon 1000D is by far the least well specified, but that could be a good thing; more of the budget can be spent on a decent lens. However, repeating what my esteemed colleague said to someone else recently, if the hobby bites, you may find it limiting. That said, you won't miss what you've never had, but you will miss what you have; so a bit of personal advice is make sure your choice of body and lens can do everything your S5 can (I'm not familiar with it, so I can't be more helpful).

That's quite a wide range of things to shoot there, but at least you didn't say "wildlife", as that would bring the need for an extended telephoto range too. For what you say, the max focal length you should need would be 200mm or possibly less.

If you get a chance, could you pop across to the introduction thread and post an introduction there, so we know a bit more about you and where you are, etc. (it all helps us advise you better) Thanks.

I'm sure others will pop up with their views, so I'll stop here for now.

Regards,

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the detailed reply. I don't know why but I like the photos taken by Canon compared to the Nikon, May be the color.

Somehow I felt that Canon able to capture the scenery (green color) better.

Please let me know how do you really feel about your new Nikon d5000.
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 16th June 2009 at 08:50 AM.

Hi , First welcome from me !

Nikon makes good camera's so does canon. it is hard to choose i know .. from what i have read you are to landscapes , portraits.

well i have made imho nice landscapes with both my nikon D70 and the Nikon D50 and the Canon Eos 300D also with the Nikon F65. May be strange to read but sometimes i need a camera (caon eos 300D) that doesn't fuss and confuse me with way too many options in the menu. But most of the times i do need the options and complexity in menu's from my nikons

I know i am a strange guy but i know a lot people like me so i am not alone

The nikon D5000 aka the " fischerprice" is a model that doesn't give me the wow factor, not that it will be a fine camera but i dislike that it has only one lcd screen , is small less space to grip fine (like the eos 300 D and both nikons have) . What i also dislike is the movie mode that belongs (imho) to compact camera's and camcorders not dskrs..

The canon eos 1000d is perhaps the most bang for the buck though offering a litte less posibilities than a nikon d5000 it lacks the movie mode and the back looks to busy for me , that is what nikon made right on the "fischerprice" and a large screen

the 50D is a more advanced camera so the start with i would choose for the one that lies the best in your hands, the one YOU feel the most happy with, with the system YOU like the best .

goodluck .. let me know what it will be

tip: not only read reviws but go to a good camera store , play with a demo example of both the D5000 and the 1000D , not only inside but outside to. if you can;t make up your mind there a stores on internet where you can rent a camera and see for your self what is the best ..

Real Name
    Have a guess :)

Quote Originally Posted by Subin View Post
    Hi All,

I am new in this forum.
    Hi Subin, welcome to our little corner of the world

I am interested in photography and would like to buy one DSLR.
    Budget is around 1000$.
    What currency? USD? AUD? NZD?

I would like to use it for all kinds of purpose, like landscape, portrait, macro etc.
    Don't forget that your also going to need lenses - is there a seperate budget for them?

I am reading all kind of review websites and confused to select one.
    Don't worry - that's completely normal!

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by Subin View Post
    I don't know why but I like the photos taken by Canon compared to the Nikon, May be the color.

Somehow I felt that Canon able to capture the scenery (green color) better.
    I'm a die-hard Canon man too - but any differences in colour will only be due to differing white balance settings or differences in preferences and/or post processing.

Hi all,

I never expected such a fast and detailed responses. Thank you all.

I am a amature photographer. I uploaded my photos in the picasa.
    http://picasaweb.google.com/subin.82

Expecting some comments from experienced professional photographers like you guys.

Hi Colin Southern, my budget mentioned is in USD.

Regards
    Subin
    Last edited by Colin Southern; 17th June 2009 at 08:41 AM.

Hi Subin,, the pictures look real nice and fine , some are perhaps a bit dark but ok to me .. like colin said it is not only a body but lense to.

To buying kit's

there is nothing wrong with buying kit sets , mostly you pay less than you would adding up all the single prices ! If you can with canon i advise a 18-55 IS witch is a good lens and perhaps the 55-250 is that would give you a great range with the 1000D.

With nikon i would go for the 5000D + 18-55 vr +55-200 VR double zoom kit , the 18-105 i don't like that much but i am spoiled from my 18-55vr and 18-70 lens what IQ (image Quality) concerns .

do not know how avaieable the double zoom kits are but you can go to the store and say that you want a 5000D +18-55+55-200vr and bag for 999 perhaps they are willign to do it

same is with canon , just play it hard when you can or leave some negotiation money for the dealer if the nearest shop is more than one day travel away

Just think what you want , read reviews but always with some critical mind of view.
    than ask it to your prefered supplier (camera store/ dealer) just ask for a print out off the offer and ask a 48 hours thinking time (wehn you sepnd up to 1000 dolar that is fair to me to ask to your store) let them put everything on writing what is incuded in to the offer ..
    think of things like warranty, bag(s) filter(s) photoography class etc..

than think it over ask it here and let us help you (at least that is what we are trying to do..!)

I have a 40D that I use for church work (quiet shutter) and just out of curiosity used it for a cycle event last Sunday and the results are stunning. I normally use my 1-series bodies for sports and found the 40D to be as fast focussing using L glass.

The 50D is an improvement in some areas but the 40D's are going for good prices at about half the 50D?

I saw the review of the 1000D and the reviewer stated that it was pointless shooting RAW as the jpegs were so good. Must be good then? Exposure accuracy not as good as a 40/50D tho. No spot metering on the 1000D either.

I've no experience with Nikons.

Hope that helps a bit.

Real Name

Hi Subin,

What do I really feel about the D5000?
    Well I like it, a lot, but most things work in reverse to my previous Fuji and that takes a bit of getting used to. Some I could (in the menu) reverse the direction of, but if I do that, I won't be "standard Nikon", so I think I'll persevere and get used to it.

I bought it with a massive 18-250 Sigma lens instead of the kit Nikon lens, this gives me almost a 14:1 zoom range, but it is heavy and does obstruct the focus assist lamp and flash somewhat, but nothing too major. In flash terms, there's a small dark patch at bottom centre of frame between 18 and 21mm, after that, it's fine unless you focus close on something. I rarely use flash, prefering natural/available light, so its yet to be an issue in the real world.

I bought the D5000, over the competition, for the tility, twisty screen and Live view. However, the viewfinder and it's focusing is so much better than I expected, I have to admit I haven't used Live view on the screen as much as I thought I would. (Yeah, yeah, everyone, you told me so!)
    In my defence, I'll say this is mainly because I can do serious wildlife pics now with the extra stretch and fast focussing and my choice of shooting subject has changed significantly.

I'd say the camera is fine, but obviously a big zoom lens has to make optical compromises and I can see them already in some pics.

Cheers,

Hi Subin,
    Welcome to CiC.
    Both Nikon and Canon make nice cameras. I think it comes down to what you are use to. intresting that you mentioned Canon vs Nikon's colour. dxomark.com just recently compared the RAW data from Canon and Nikon (Sony) sensors. It is intresting to read the different method that each company uses. Although this time the result suggests D5000 has a slight edge over 500D/T1i, the difference is real small.

Here's the link to the story
    http://www.dxomark.com/index.php/eng...s.-Nikon-D5000

Here's an intresting comprison
    Nikon D5000 or Canon EOS 1000D or Canon EOS 50D
    Last edited by Raycer; 16th June 2009 at 04:13 PM.

Hi,

There are tests, and there are tests, right?

The most reviewers I know get a new, loan camera from Nikon, Pentax, Sony, Canon, Fuji, etc., to write a review on. Most of the time they get to play with it for a week or so, they are most likely to give it a good review, or the next time it will be harder to get a camera for free.

I am still waiting for a good consumer review inside out (covering the full details of the D5000) by using it.

There are some things I like on the D5000, like the nice and calm look of the back, what I like less is the cheap looking display movement and that it is to darn small for large hands, thus the handling will be thougher. What I also don't like is video on a DSLR, that belongs to me to P&S and camcorders IMHO.

I will keep on calling it the "fischerprice" until see a good review from a customer like me, one who takes 250 pictures a shoot, at least and has used a lot of cameras already.
    Last edited by Dave Humphries; 17th June 2009 at 06:07 PM.

Real Name
    Chris

Just say the Nikon and Canon ranges are indistinguishable as near as matters.

With Nikon you have the option of using Nikon Capture NX2 for processing as a genuine high quality alternative to the Adobe range of software. I have an intro and explanation of it at www.pbase.com/crisscross/nx2 which seems to be pretty popular.

PS I did have a 350D for a year but was very frustrated; but my favouring Nikon is thus only 90% prejudice

Real Name

Hi Dirk,

I'm the only D5000 user here at the moment, so you're stuck with me!

I qualify on taking 250 shots a session, depends what I'm shooting, sometimes double that!
    But I fail on the other criteria; I have only used a Fuji Superzoom (and a P&S), not a DSLR before.

I normally suggest Steve's Digicams for a decent review, but they don't have it yet

Personally, I don't have a problem with the screen, I wouldn't call toy-like, but I am an ex-engineer, so I tend to treat things fairly carefully, I've spent far too much time fixing other people's clumsiness in my career! ANY screen that moves is obviously going to be prone to damage without some care, so I'd recommend say, the D90 with a fixed 3" screen.
    The Sony A300/A350 screen might be a tad more robust as it's supported in two places rather than one. I wouldn't say there is anything to choose between the Nikon's bottom hinge versus Panasonic's side one, I have played with both and didn't come away with the impression one was any stronger or weaker than the other.

Anyway. what else do you want to know about D5000?

Cheers,

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Humphries View Post
    Hi Dirk,

I'm the only D5000 user here at the moment, so you're stuck with me!

I qualify on taking 250 shots a session, depends what I'm shooting, sometimes double that!
    But I fail on the other criteria; I have only used a Fuji Superzoom (and a P&S), not a DSLR before.

I normally suggest Steve's Digicams for a decent review, but they don't have it yet

Personally, I don't have a problem with the screen, I wouldn't call toy-like, but I am an ex-engineer, so I tend to treat things fairly carefully, I've spent far too much time fixing other people's clumsiness in my career! ANY screen that moves is obviously going to be prone to damage without some care, so I'd recommend say, the D90 with a fixed 3" screen.
    The Sony A300/A350 screen might be a tad more robust as it's supported in two places rather than one. I wouldn't say there is anything to choose between the Nikon's bottom hinge versus Panasonic's side one, I have played with both and didn't come away with the impression one was any stronger or weaker than the other.

Anyway. what else do you want to know about D5000?

Cheers,

Hi Dave , thanks for the mini review of the D5000
    may be i am a bit harsh on it , it simpy doesn't give me the wow factor of my D50 , D70 or Canon Eos 300D (those i use the most)

i have felt i t 4x at Media Markt saw that the prices fall from 958 euro with 18-105 to now 799 euro , that is good and at this moment i do not need a forth dslr i am also pretty catius when i am on holliday i always tack a rucksack with the D70 and the 18-70 lens and tie my shoes tight and secure , never let the camera out of my sight .

and if needed i pull my tripod out of the bag and mount the camera to it and activate the time shutter and run in to place

cheers too

hi i wanted to choose either canon 1000d or nikon d5000.... i went to a shop n he was giving me a offer for 1000 dollars wif 2 extra lenses plus 32gb card 1st hand.... n another 1 was giving me 850 dollars plus wif 1 lense cld u tell me asap.....thkss

Real Name

Quote Originally Posted by inderdeep View Post
    hi i wanted to choose either canon 1000d or nikon d5000.... i went to a shop n he was giving me a offer for 1000 dollars wif 2 extra lenses plus 32gb card 1st hand.... n another 1 was giving me 850 dollars plus wif 1 lense cld u tell me asap.....thkss
    I'm sorry Inderdeep, but I can't understand what it is that you are asking.

ok i got an option for either a nikon d5000 or canon EOS 1000d cld u tell me which 1 is better

Real Name

Hi inderdeep,

This really is not enough information to base a decision upon.

Both cameras are perfectly adequate, probably the D5000 is a little higher spec., but I am guessing, as I only have direct experience of one.

Without knowing which lenses you have been offered with each AND what sort of photography you want to do, we cannot safely advise you.

It is a big decision to base on so little information.

Real Name
    Jan Diepeveen

As a Canon EOS 1000D user I would go for a Canon EOS 500D or 50D.
    After 1 year of using a 1000D you're going to miss some features like spot metering.
    I would spend some extra dollars on the body.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast