Thread: Tall Ship

Real Name
    James G Soto

Tall Ship

San Diego CA
    Star of India is the world's oldest active sailing ship; she began her life in 1863

Tall Ship

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Re: Tall Ship

Wonderful subject to photograph. And this is a good image. The one thing I think is a problem are those heads at the bottom right. The porblem is that i can't see crop that would get rid of them and not have a detrimental effect on the image and cloning wouold be quite a big job. Not sure how that new content aware thing in Photoshop would handle that.

Real Name
    James G Soto

Donald, you are right, here is the results of my first attempt of post proses to remove the heads, I don’t think it’s perfect, what do you all think? Note; I have very minimal knowledge of Photoshop.

Tall Ship
    Last edited by Jerry Soto; 11th March 2012 at 09:11 PM.

Real Name
    Paul

Jerry, I think you did a fine job. While not perfect, perfectly reasonable. I know I spent a few minutes with your photo last night and it was not an easy job. You will get better with practice but this was a well done first attempt.

If you did not tell anyone they would likely never spot any of the work you did. Well done.

Real Name
    James G Soto

Good afternoon Paul, thank you for looking at my work, your comment are always a confident buster and help me look at alternative ways of doing things.
    Paul, one of my son’s lives in the Federal Way area and you are right it is absolutely beautiful.
    Last edited by Jerry Soto; 11th March 2012 at 09:47 PM.

Real Name
    Frank Miller

Hi James, your cloning skills are certainly effective for this image!

I find that when shooting tall ships it is very difficult to get a really good image. Either I am getting the entire ship but I'm too far away to see much detail or I'm close enough to see the details but sadly lacking inasmuch as all you can see are pieces of the tall ship and not its grandeur. You pretty much need the vantage point of another similar sized ship and how often would you get to shoot a tall ship on the bounding maine?

I commend you for giving it a go. The more of it you can do, the better you'll get.

Real Name
    Just add 'MacKenzie'

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Soto View Post
    ... here is the results of my first attempt of post proses to remove the heads, I don’t think it’s perfect, what do you all think?
    I think that's a good job and, in my view, it makes a huge difference to the quality of the image.

Real Name
    Paul

I would rather bolster your confidence than bust it. Either way I am glad it has helped. My brother lives in Federal way. I am about 45 min North of there.
    Last edited by jeeperman; 11th March 2012 at 10:12 PM.

Real Name
    James G Soto

Quote Originally Posted by FrankMi View Post
    Hi James, your cloning skills are certainly effective for this image!

I find that when shooting tall ships it is very difficult to get a really good image. Either I am getting the entire ship but I'm too far away to see much detail or I'm close enough to see the details but sadly lacking inasmuch as all you can see are pieces of the tall ship and not its grandeur. You pretty much need the vantage point of another similar sized ship and how often would you get to shoot a tall ship on the bounding maine?

I commend you for giving it a go. The more of it you can do, the better you'll get.
    Frank you are right, they are just too big to get it all in one shot when they are at port, thank you for taking a look and for your comments

Real Name
    James G Soto

Quote Originally Posted by Donald View Post
    I think that's a good job and, in my view, it makes a huge difference to the quality of the image.
    Thank you Donald, maybe in the near future I can get as good as you are, love your B&W’s photos.